Suggest other Wiki topics here

The Wiki is the section where we have compiled useful information on frequently asked questions. The format is different to the rest of the ClinPsy forum, so this section explains how it works.

Re: Suggest other Wiki topics here

Postby Will » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:50 pm

Just had a conversation with a friend of mine about a bucketlist ambition we share but have no idea where to start...haha. Would anyone with experience fancy doing a wiki on writing books for publication? Whether it's doing a chapter for an edited book or starting one from scratch, it would be great to get some insight into the process.
Ponderings and wonderings in 140 characters - @willcurvis
User avatar
Will
Team Member
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:51 pm
Location: North-West England

Re: Suggest other Wiki topics here

Postby miriam » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:59 pm

Will wrote:Just had a conversation with a friend of mine about a bucketlist ambition we share but have no idea where to start...haha. Would anyone with experience fancy doing a wiki on writing books for publication? Whether it's doing a chapter for an edited book or starting one from scratch, it would be great to get some insight into the process.

I can do that, though not immediately. Given I am soon to reach press, and it was much easier than I thought!
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
User avatar
miriam
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7330
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:20 pm
Location: Bucks

Re: Suggest other Wiki topics here

Postby Will » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:47 pm

miriam wrote:
Will wrote:Just had a conversation with a friend of mine about a bucketlist ambition we share but have no idea where to start...haha. Would anyone with experience fancy doing a wiki on writing books for publication? Whether it's doing a chapter for an edited book or starting one from scratch, it would be great to get some insight into the process.

I can do that, though not immediately. Given I am soon to reach press, and it was much easier than I thought!


Fab. Have to make my millions somehow...
Ponderings and wonderings in 140 characters - @willcurvis
User avatar
Will
Team Member
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:51 pm
Location: North-West England

Re: Suggest other Wiki topics here

Postby miriam » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:00 am

Hah, money from a book? That's a real pipe dream! You get about £1 per copy, after the first few hundred copies have been sold to cover the costs that are passed to the author (like proofreading). So, in order to make any money you'd need to write a blockbuster and then negotiate good terms on a follow up book that does equally well. I reckon if you sell 10,000 copies it would probably be worth the effort involved. Otherwise you are doing it to share knowledge and ideas, and for the professional kudos, rather than for money.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
User avatar
miriam
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7330
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:20 pm
Location: Bucks

Re: Suggest other Wiki topics here

Postby Will » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:29 am

It's fine, I'll promote it on stage at every night of my arena world tour. I can be a rock star and a psychologist.
Ponderings and wonderings in 140 characters - @willcurvis
User avatar
Will
Team Member
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:51 pm
Location: North-West England

Re: Suggest other Wiki topics here

Postby miriam » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:58 pm

'Psychology for groupies' by Rock God Will has the ring of a best seller I think...
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
User avatar
miriam
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7330
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:20 pm
Location: Bucks

Re: Suggest other Wiki topics here

Postby Will » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:55 pm

They may as well give me the cash now.
Ponderings and wonderings in 140 characters - @willcurvis
User avatar
Will
Team Member
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:51 pm
Location: North-West England

Re: Suggest other Wiki topics here

Postby Peach » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:38 pm

I think it might be useful to have a wiki on working abroad as a CP/ gaining experience abroad because it's a topic that comes up regularly and there are a few threads about it.
The best thing about this signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything, it's too late for you to stop reading.
User avatar
Peach
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Suggest other Wiki topics here

Postby miriam » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:39 pm

Are you volunteering to compile one? ;)
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
User avatar
miriam
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7330
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:20 pm
Location: Bucks

Re: Suggest other Wiki topics here

Postby Peach » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:35 pm

I will have a go at doing one. :)
The best thing about this signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything, it's too late for you to stop reading.
User avatar
Peach
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Suggest other Wiki topics here

Postby mungle » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:06 pm

How about a wiki list of Plan B/alternatives where skills/experience/qualifications from a clinical psychology path might be useful:

NB. Some of the 'Plan Bs' may be more competitive than clinical psychology.

NB. Cost for some training routes may seem prohibitive but may be comparable to taking on periods of unpaid work or taking lower paid roles in pursuit of CP. Often people work in a paid job while doing counselling psy, health psy, psychotherapy training etc.

Here are some suggestions to start with:


Research
• Research assistant
• PhD
• Office of national statistics
• Market research
• Pharmaceutical companies
• NIHR/NHS research programmes e.g. NIHR funded projects, R& D departments
• Clinical Audit professional
• Quality Manager
• Think tank/Charity
• Survey company e.g. Picker Institute
• Information Specialist/Librarian

Health psychology/clinical work
• Health psychologist – do through paid employment with doctorate course?
• Smoking cessation adviser
• Weight Management Adviser
• Physical activity coordinator

Management
• Bupa graduate scheme or vacancies
• NHS management scheme
• NHS England jobs
• Department of Health jobs
• Virgin Health Care
• Public Health Consultant training
• Cabinet Office nudge centre
• Care home manager
• GP practice manager (work your way up)

Clinical
• IAPT – PWP or CBT therapist, PWP tutor, Senior PWP
• Psychoanalytic psychotherapist
• Cognitive Analytic Therapist
• CBT Therapist
• Counsellor
• Mental Health Nurse
• Occupational Therapist
• Drugs worker
• Youth worker
• Counselling Psychologist
• Probation Officer
• Forensic Psychologist
• Graduate Medicine
• Mindfulness Teacher/Therapists
• Sex and relationships therapist
• Service User Involvement Worker
• Speech and Language therapist
• Arts therapist – art, music, drama, dance and movement
• Play therapist

Education:
• Teacher
• Special Needs teacher or case manager in specialist school
• Study skills/Academic advisor (higher education, FE colleges)
• Widening Participation job (higher education)
• Teaching fellow
• Educational Psychologist
• TEFL teaching
• Creative workshop facilitator for children, people with learning disabilities etc.

Related charities e.g. mental health/health charities
• Charity fundraiser
• Project Manager
• Policy job
• Campaigning

Other possible jobs where psychology experience/knowledge/skills might be an asset:
• Work for companies selling psychometric tests/materials
• Alternative therapist
• Physical health jobs e.g. podiatrist, physiotherapist etc.
• Management Consultant
• Occupational Psychologist
• Civil Service fast stream
• Careers Adviser
• Information worker e.g. citizens advice for similar
• Fitness Instructor
• Marketing
• Any role that involves interviewing people
• Human Resources Manager
User avatar
mungle
 
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:07 pm
Location: Midlands

Re: Suggest other Wiki topics here

Postby maven » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:46 am

mungle wrote:How about a wiki list of Plan B/alternatives where skills/experience/qualifications from a clinical psychology path might be useful:

NB. Some of the 'Plan Bs' may be more competitive than clinical psychology.

NB. Cost for some training routes may seem prohibitive but may be comparable to taking on periods of unpaid work or taking lower paid roles in pursuit of CP. Often people work in a paid job while doing counselling psy, health psy, psychotherapy training etc.

Here are some suggestions to start with:


Research
• Research assistant
• PhD
• Office of national statistics
• Market research
• Pharmaceutical companies
• NIHR/NHS research programmes e.g. NIHR funded projects, R& D departments
• Clinical Audit professional
• Quality Manager
• Think tank/Charity
• Survey company e.g. Picker Institute
• Information Specialist/Librarian

Health psychology/clinical work
• Health psychologist – do through paid employment with doctorate course?
• Smoking cessation adviser
• Weight Management Adviser
• Physical activity coordinator

Management
• Bupa graduate scheme or vacancies
• NHS management scheme
• NHS England jobs
• Department of Health jobs
• Virgin Health Care
• Public Health Consultant training
• Cabinet Office nudge centre
• Care home manager
• GP practice manager (work your way up)

Clinical
• IAPT – PWP or CBT therapist, PWP tutor, Senior PWP
• Psychoanalytic psychotherapist
• Cognitive Analytic Therapist
• CBT Therapist
• Counsellor
• Mental Health Nurse
• Occupational Therapist
• Drugs worker
• Youth worker
• Counselling Psychologist
• Probation Officer
• Forensic Psychologist
• Graduate Medicine
• Mindfulness Teacher/Therapists
• Sex and relationships therapist
• Service User Involvement Worker
• Speech and Language therapist
• Arts therapist – art, music, drama, dance and movement
• Play therapist

Education:
• Teacher
• Special Needs teacher or case manager in specialist school
• Study skills/Academic advisor (higher education, FE colleges)
• Widening Participation job (higher education)
• Teaching fellow
• Educational Psychologist
• TEFL teaching
• Creative workshop facilitator for children, people with learning disabilities etc.

Related charities e.g. mental health/health charities
• Charity fundraiser
• Project Manager
• Policy job
• Campaigning

Other possible jobs where psychology experience/knowledge/skills might be an asset:
• Work for companies selling psychometric tests/materials
• Alternative therapist
• Physical health jobs e.g. podiatrist, physiotherapist etc.
• Management Consultant
• Occupational Psychologist
• Civil Service fast stream
• Careers Adviser
• Information worker e.g. citizens advice for similar
• Fitness Instructor
• Marketing
• Any role that involves interviewing people
• Human Resources Manager

We do have a wiki on other jobs that are similar, here - perhaps somebody would like to combine the two lists?
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare
User avatar
maven
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1971
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:00 pm

Previous

Return to About the Wiki, and suggest new topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests