Starting a new job but potential for better offers?

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.

Starting a new job but potential for better offers?

Postby natalie427 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 am

Hi,

I have just started a new job as a support worker, but have two brilliant interviews for a programme facilitator in my local prison and an investigator role. I feel like I can't let these two opportunities go as they are much more relevant to what I want to pursue (Forensic Psychology). On top of that, these roles would include normal social working hours and a significant increase in pay. However, I am aware that my new manager is conscious of people leaving early and mentioned how important it is in the interview that people are here for a length of time. I am thinking far ahead here (as of course I still do not have offers from said jobs, only interviews) but how do companies feel about leaving early on? Would I be burning bridges with the company I work for now? Would the managers understand? What would you do?

Thank You.

PS. These jobs were applied for before my offer acceptance of this current job. I was hoping the interviews and awareness of application status would be before I started, giving me the opportunity to resign before starting but with most jobs I've experienced they seem to take a long time to push through.
natalie427

Re: Starting a new job but potential for better offers?

Postby BlueCat » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:09 pm

I suppose in an ideal world you'd have known about the interviews before starting and might have said to the person offering you the current job "Thank you, I'm really pleased....however, before I firmly accept the offer, I need to let you know I've got two interviews coming up and I'd like to be able to consider all my options before committing". However, timescales can be funny things. Your new manager is right that it is important to have continuity in those sorts of roles...however, support work in general suffers a great deal with high turnover and short stay employees. That's not a burden to be put on your shoulders, though, that's the responsibility of the industry in general - if it was a better paid, more attractive option, then people would stay put and it wouldn't be filled with transitional workers doing it in order to move on, or people in a pinch who just need a wage until something better turns up.

Yes it isn't ideal, but that isn't your fault. At the end of the day, do what you need to do. Also, you may be worrying about this before you need to worry, so go along to the interviews, see how you get on, and agonise over the decision only if you need to.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.
BlueCat
Site Admin

Postby YellowNutshell » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:35 pm

I had a similar dilemma recently and was agonising over my moral quandary- go for a new job that actually was better for me in terms of experience and pay, or be loyal to a previous employer and have the safety net of familiarity! I felt that if I accepted the other job I would in some way be "letting down" my old employer as I know it would have made their lives easier, taking on someone who knew the system/team/patients, however ultimately this is a long hard road and we need to get the best experiences we can.

You need to think about the long term and where you want to be- services are always going to be able to recruit but you may not necessarily get the job opportunity again.

Also unfortunately high turnover is quite common, and on a more practical level if you're leaving fairly early they may well have a bank of other interviewees who they could offer it to without having to interview again.

I think as long as you convey that you genuinely appreciate the time they have given you you'll be fine. It's not ideal but managers are managers and have to deal with these things all the time!

Best of luck for your interviews :)
YellowNutshell

Postby alexh » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:37 am

Your current manager is free to offer you more money and a more interesting work role in order to retain you, and to set out a development plan that would help you achieve your goals. If not it would be a very unusual person who chose to stay for less pay in a less fulfilling role!

This situation is the outcome of a system in which very capable and degree educated people are recruited into low paid jobs, retention will be a struggle.

Frequent job switching is a prompt to consider other factors, like whether interpersonal difficulties manifest over a few months,inability to work towards long term goals, or people who don't know what they want to do. It is not 'bad' in itself, eg people who move on for better roles!
alexh

Postby natalie427 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:14 pm

HI,

Thank you for your replies.
Currently, I am struggling with the role and have some questions, I would like to ask someone. If anyone has experience of support workers / or have been one would they kindly pm me?

Thank You.
natalie427

Postby YellowNutshell » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:40 pm

natalie427 wrote:HI,

Thank you for your replies.
Currently, I am struggling with the role and have some questions, I would like to ask someone. If anyone has experience of support workers / or have been one would they kindly pm me?

Thank You.

I've worked as a support worker within a CMHT. If you're still stuck I'm happy to help!
YellowNutshell

Postby AryaStark » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:11 pm

I have also worked as a support worker in a CMHT, so let me know if you need anything!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
-Max Ehrmann,"Desiderata"
AryaStark

Return to Professional/Employment Issues