Can an employer rescind a job offer?

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.

Can an employer rescind a job offer?

Postby arias » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:48 am

Well, that's a bit of a misleading subject title as I'm aware that they can. I suppose I'm just asking with regards to AP posts in particular. Has there been any cases of job offers having to be retracted and if so how common would you say this is? The reason I'm asking is because I have two offers now but I don't know if I should reject the former offer until I hear from HR for the latter offer.

Thank you to anyone willing to give some advice on this! :)
arias

Re: Can an employer rescind a job offer?

Postby AryaStark » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:45 am

I've had it happen previously (a few years ago) due to my previous HR giving the wrong person's information to the potentially new HR, (don't get me started, it was all a stress and there is a post I made about it on this forum back then). However, I do think it is rare. I would personally wait until you have the formal HR-checked offer before declining the other post, and congrats!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
-Max Ehrmann,"Desiderata"
AryaStark

Postby BlueCat » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:37 pm

It does sometimes happen. It is rare. I would always wait until you have a formal offer of employment before giving notice/withdrawing from other opportunities.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.
BlueCat
Site Admin

Postby arias » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:07 am

AryaStark wrote:I've had it happen previously (a few years ago) due to my previous HR giving the wrong person's information to the potentially new HR, (don't get me started, it was all a stress and there is a post I made about it on this forum back then). However, I do think it is rare. I would personally wait until you have the formal HR-checked offer before declining the other post, and congrats!

Gosh, that sounds like a nightmare! I can imagine how stressful that would have been...but it's good to know this isn't a common occurrence.
arias

Postby arias » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:08 am

BlueCat wrote:It does sometimes happen. It is rare. I would always wait until you have a formal offer of employment before giving notice/withdrawing from other opportunities.

Thank you for this advice, it's good to hear this from people who are in the field.
arias

Postby Loula » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:31 am

Unfortunately I was once involved in the recruitment of an AP where the post was rescinded after they were offered it, but before any hr/references were done. It was due to a significant restructure of the service that we'd not known about prior to the interview (and ultimately led to mine and the other CPs posts going as well). Definitely never do anything until you have it in writing.
Loula

Return to Professional/Employment Issues