Can an employer rescind a job offer?

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
arias

Can an employer rescind a job offer?

Post by arias » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:48 am

Well, that's a bit of a misleading subject title as I'm aware that they can. I suppose I'm just asking with regards to AP posts in particular. Has there been any cases of job offers having to be retracted and if so how common would you say this is? The reason I'm asking is because I have two offers now but I don't know if I should reject the former offer until I hear from HR for the latter offer.

Thank you to anyone willing to give some advice on this! :)

AryaStark

Re: Can an employer rescind a job offer?

Post by AryaStark » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:45 am

I've had it happen previously (a few years ago) due to my previous HR giving the wrong person's information to the potentially new HR, (don't get me started, it was all a stress and there is a post I made about it on this forum back then). However, I do think it is rare. I would personally wait until you have the formal HR-checked offer before declining the other post, and congrats!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
-Max Ehrmann,"Desiderata"

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:37 pm

It does sometimes happen. It is rare. I would always wait until you have a formal offer of employment before giving notice/withdrawing from other opportunities.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

arias

Post by arias » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:07 am

AryaStark wrote:I've had it happen previously (a few years ago) due to my previous HR giving the wrong person's information to the potentially new HR, (don't get me started, it was all a stress and there is a post I made about it on this forum back then). However, I do think it is rare. I would personally wait until you have the formal HR-checked offer before declining the other post, and congrats!
Gosh, that sounds like a nightmare! I can imagine how stressful that would have been...but it's good to know this isn't a common occurrence.

arias

Post by arias » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:08 am

BlueCat wrote:It does sometimes happen. It is rare. I would always wait until you have a formal offer of employment before giving notice/withdrawing from other opportunities.

Thank you for this advice, it's good to hear this from people who are in the field.

Loula

Post by Loula » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:31 am

Unfortunately I was once involved in the recruitment of an AP where the post was rescinded after they were offered it, but before any hr/references were done. It was due to a significant restructure of the service that we'd not known about prior to the interview (and ultimately led to mine and the other CPs posts going as well). Definitely never do anything until you have it in writing.

ManonFire

Post by ManonFire » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:51 pm

So did you interview, get offered a post, then interview for another one and get offered it also?

I've been fretting recently about two interviews coming up within about 8 days of eachother. I'd prefer the second post as it's better paid but if i get offered the first will have to accept?

I suppose it's not realistic to expect them to allow you to think about it for a few days - so best to accept it then if offered the other one be brave and tell them you've changed your mind... Not good for a future clinical psychologist's credibility?

ManonFire

Post by ManonFire » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:40 pm

Sorry I just realised the post is relatively old in terms of content vs time.

How did it pan out OP?

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:40 am

Loula wrote:Unfortunately I was once involved in the recruitment of an AP where the post was rescinded after they were offered it, but before any hr/references were done. It was due to a significant restructure of the service that we'd not known about prior to the interview (and ultimately led to mine and the other CPs posts going as well). Definitely never do anything until you have it in writing.
I have been in exactly this situation, made even more awkward since I was the person who told the prospective Ap that she had the job. Then had to tell her that the job was no longer available. Ours was also a significant restructure that led to lots of jobs being cut or significantly changed, including mine.

ManonFire....I've also been in exactly the position you describe. I think it's fine to let them know you havw another job interview next week and that you'd like to wait to see the outcome that before you decide.

ManonFire

Post by ManonFire » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:54 pm

That really sucks - people go through so much sacrifice to get to the interview stage and then perform to the best of their ability only to be toyed with by the big wigs. Wouldn't it have made sense for the powers-that-be to have communicated their intentions of system re-structuring months in advance to avoid that sort of cruelty. Shame on them.

I think it's easier said than done BlueCat, if i was an employer I would not want to hang about on an indecisive candidate - is it just me or does the indecision communicate ungratefulness :? It would be taking a risk that you would lose the second rated candidate. Oh hang on, maybe this is why sometimes you don't hear back from a job interview for a week :bom:

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:09 am

Yes this is exactly why sometimes you don't hear back for a week or more! I was in the fortunate position of having three job interviews within a fortnight and I genuinely didn't know which one I wanted. I was offered all three, and asked the first two if they would mind waiting until after I'd heard about the third before I formally accepted so that I could consider all my options. They were fine with it. I now (twelve years and five jobs later) am back working with one of the teams I asked to wait, and ultimately declined.

ManonFire

Post by ManonFire » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:40 am

Wow you must be a really good interviewee and obviously have a lot of confidence. I don't think I would have the same bravado to actually say that to an employer for fear of leaving a bad taste in their mouths so to speak.
Maybe time made it easier to face those people again :) but I really admire your assertiveness and strength of character. :)

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:43 am

It was a long time ago and hasn't happened again! I'd tend to disagree with you....I don't think it is bravado or xonfidence.....I think it is professionalism. If I had accepted the first post whilst knowing I had another post coming up with the intention of pulling out if I was offered the second.....that is unprofessional, dishonest and will potentially put a lot of people to a lot of trouble progressing your application when you have no intention of taking the post.

It truly is a small world (as shown by me being back working with the dept I asked to wait 12 years ago). You talk of leaving a "bad taste" by being honest and up front......however, I'd suggest that the "taste" would be even worse if a candidate out and out deceived them, or pulled out of recruitment a week or two into the process. At least by being honest people don't crack on with the recruitment process, wasting time and money on a candidate who is going to decline if they get a better offer next week.

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:00 pm

I completely understand where you’re coming from but personally I wouldn’t want to risk it in my current position if I was offered say an AP job - I feel like they could easily say well you weren’t that good we’ll offer it to someone who wants it enough! In the past I’ve accepted a job and continued attending the other interviews I already had arranged but the job I accepted wasn’t a ‘one role’ job but a general recruitment drive and I figured by the time I’d interviewed for the other roles my paperwork would have arrived and I’d know for sure.. not the best approach really!

ell

Post by ell » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:28 pm

If you are offered a job, it's not unreasonable to ask for a few days to think about it. You don't need to say it's because you have another interview if you don't want to. After all, there are lots of reasons you might want to think on the decision, such as working out childcare arrangements, thinking through the commuting options, checking you have accommodation sorted if you are going to be relocated. The job interview is partly a two way process of working out whether or not a job is the right fit for someone. I don't think a prospective employer can just take back the offer if you ask for a few days to think about it. And it looks a lot better than accepting and then pulling out once the paperwork is started and all the other candidates have been turned down.