Care Assistant without CRB checks

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.

Care Assistant without CRB checks

Postby Pineapples » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:37 pm

Hi,

I hope I've posted this in the right place. I was wondering if someone could offer me some advice.....

Yesterday, I started working as a care assistant in an older peoples care home in order to gain some experience and pay my uni fees.

Although I have a clear CRB, I was allowed to start work at this care home without a CRB check and the manager and staff didn't even check my ID or my previous CRB forms. I kept asking for her to check my ID and previous CRB stuff, but she kept saying 'later on, later on', but she never got round to it.

I know undertaking employment without any CRB checks is in complete breach of the Care Standards Act.

CRB Police Checks for Care Home Staff
The Care Standards Act 2000 regulations become mandatory on the 1st June 2004. The regulations require Care Home Staff to undergo criminal record checks through the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB). All Care Home managers, supervisors and staff require disclosures. As part of the disclosure process, the POVA list will be checked by the CRB, then the results of that check are recorded on the disclosure. If a worker is due to start before the disclosure is issued (an enhanced disclosure takes 4 weeks), then a POVA Fast Track check must be carried out first. This takes around 2 days.

I was required to perform personal care on an elderly gentleman and watch staff conduct personal care on other residents. I declined because I did not feel ready.

The manager kept saying that she will sort out the CRB and POVA checks sometime next week as she had run out of CRB forms, but wanted me to start straight away.

I'm seeking advice as I felt really uncomfortable. I would be very concerned if I had a relative living in a care home knowing that new members of staff were working without the necessary checks. I could have been anyone with numerous criminal convictions against the elderly or a sex offender. They also left me alone with residents in the middle of personal care.

I have another support worker (bank) job lined up (currently waiting on my CRB to go through), so I have another job to go to. Although I'm desperate for money at the moment, I don't want to work for a place that doesn't undertake the necessary checks in order to secure the safety of people living in community care settings!

I would be grateful if you could advise me on this matter.

With best wishes,

Karen
Pineapples

Want to advertise with us? You or your business could fill this space. Email clinpsyforum@gmail.com for information.

Re: Care Assistant without CRB checks

Postby keepcalm1985 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:44 pm

Wow..this sounds as though it's an incredibly difficult situation to be in! I'd like to say I'm shocked, but having worked in similar contexts before, I'm really not at all, which is disheartening. From what you've said, it sounds as though there's the potential for 'safeguarding' issues in the situation, not to mention the CQC implications (Essential standards about staffing etc) so I'd first off suggest you bring this up with your manager.

I believe in some cases it's permissable for individuals to work without CRB clearance (say if you're waiting for it to be returned) so long as adequate risk assessment procedures are in place, but that this short-term solution prohibits direct client-contact (i.e. you can be 'at work' but office-bound with no client contact) which sounds far from your experiences. Personally, I'd say keep persevering with the manager to try and get it sorted a.s.a.p. as aside from you point-blank refusing to work (which I guess isn't an option due to the money situation) there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for manouvre!

Good luck :)
"A certain degree of neurosis is of inestimable value as a drive, especially to a psychologist" Sigmund Freud
keepcalm1985

Return to Professional/Employment Issues