Campaign for a Royal College of Psychologists

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.

Re: Campaign for a Royal College of Psychologists

Postby Spatch » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:42 pm

So I don't see how we would easily balance the needs of those different professions without it either being essentially the 'ACP' in regards to Clinical having all the voting power, or clinical feeling like once again their voice gets lost trying to balance the competing demands and make everyone happy (and subsequently making no one happy...). The ACP survey overwhelmingly support a specific college, and it cast off on that idea. It may be in the future that the group changes.

I think Gilly is spot on about the the reason why the ACP-UK is focussing in on just Clinical Psychology. There have been SO many problems with having the needs for each of the groups adequately met within the BPS, and a huge amount of infighting between the various groups over the last few decades that the AEP model borrowed from Educational Psychology is probably most pragmatic way forward. If you think about it, its probably in the interest of Forensic, Health, Counselling and Sport Ex to have their own group protecting their own interests as I don't think the BPS or divisional structure will advocate for them any better either.

Or they could begin the organisation from the starting point that it's target audience overwhelmingly supported instead of forging an entirely new organisation and then asking people to join if they want to change it in the future. If I wanted to spend my time arguing for change that the majority already agree on I would've stuck with the BPS..

Fair enough, and I am with you that I would like to have a Royal College. That said I would also argue that Royal Colleges and Professional interest groups (like the AEP and proposed ACP) are fundamentally different. The RCs are often more about governance, best practice, postgraduate training and standards. From what I understand, professional interest groups are more about lobbying to opinion formers and decision makes, fighting our corner and advocating at a more strategic level (e.g. Confederation of British Industry or Association of Automobile Manufacturers). I can imagine having a Royal College that includes all psychologists, but not a lobbying group that would be effective for all psychologists. However, I could be persuaded otherwise, and would be interested in hearing other views on this.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Experience-Assistant-Psychologist-ebook/dp/B00EQFE5JW/
Spatch
Team Member

Previous

Return to Professional/Employment Issues