Nhs job offer 4 months ago, no start date + other issues

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
nono

Post by nono » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:39 pm

Hi there,

This is going to be a long post filled with frustration but hopefully some of you wonderful people can give me some advice or maybe reasurrance, I'm not sure what I need anymore.

In January last year I was offered a position in a private adult low secure unit as a 'Psychology HCA'. I was a fairly fresh graduate and wanted some experience so of course I took the job. It was a new service and therefore I was involved in many exciting things relating to the set up, initial assessments of patients etc. My role required me to divide my time between both psychology work (risk assessments, CPA report writing, group therapy etc.) and HCA work (so I was also doing shifts on the ward). I found this difficult at times as even though the company provided me with plenty of training and support (for example a course in Dbt) it was hard for me to establish boundaries with the patients due to the nature of my joint role. This is the first time I speak about this here as I didn't want to be recognised or say bad things about the company as like I said I did get plenty of support there! However I decided to leave the job in September as some things just didn't seem right to me. My supervisor even though very very very knowledgable and supportive and just a great human being in general was not HCPC registered at the time. Also I was being paid an equivalent of band 2. There were other issues which I'm going to keep to myself...
Anyway I left the job in September and since then been invited to 4 AP interviews (great, right?). However I'm not sure if my previous role held me back as the panels asked me about why I left and various questions in regards to supervision...I kept the answers rather short as I wasn't sure if I told them really why I left whether it would put me in a bad light.
I wasn't successful at any of the interviews I attended and money was tight so I went for a Band 3 Nursing Assistant post in the NHS and miraculously I got the job!! I was thrilled!
I received my job offer before Christmas and it is now April. Still no start date...
I have been contacting my recruitment advisor pretty much every week to find out what's going on. I have completed my OH checks and they do have my CRB back however they keep saying that they are missing references. I provided them with alternative contacts and asked them to re-send the forms on numerous occassions. They now have 2 references and are still missing one who has confirmed to me that she has now sent it back to them twice! Is is possible that they lose them?
My question is, can they refuse me the job now that the offer has been made but 4 months have passed and they claim that they are missing a reference? At the end of the day the offer was conditional...I'm just so worried right now.
I have been unemployed since September and on every other job application form I complete I have to explain why I'm not in employment...I don't even know how to explain the fact that I've spent some of this time waiting for a start date elsewhere.
As a result I have started working part-time behind the till of my father's shop (I live with my partner and still need money for bills). I'm worried about putting this on the application forms as it looks dodgy. How would I explain leaving a relevant job only to work behind the till? How will this impact on my career?

I am so sorry if this posts makes little sense but I'm just so angry with myself. It seems like I've pretty much ruined my life by leaving my previous employment so suddenly without a back-up plan and I am now completely lost. Can anyone spare a good word?

Nono x

HumourMe

Re: Nhs job offer 4 months ago, no start date + other issues

Post by HumourMe » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:32 pm

Hi Nono

I'm not sure whether I'd be much help but I just wanted to say that I can understand (to some extent) what you are going through. In my previous role I waited four months before I could start (waiting for references) but I also was not given a start date so I felt very much 'in limbo' and on edge that they would retract the offer of employment. I did finally start after repeatedly chasing my references.

Currently, I was offered a job in December 2013 and I am still waiting for a start date as they also are waiting to hear back from references. I am not too concerned about this one as I am already employed as a casual worker but it is still frustrating.

Anyway I just wanted to say "I hear you!" and I really feel for you.

Loula

Post by Loula » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:11 pm

nono wrote: I received my job offer before Christmas and it is now April. Still no start date...
I have been contacting my recruitment advisor pretty much every week to find out what's going on. I have completed my OH checks and they do have my CRB back however they keep saying that they are missing references. I provided them with alternative contacts and asked them to re-send the forms on numerous occassions. They now have 2 references and are still missing one who has confirmed to me that she has now sent it back to them twice! Is is possible that they lose them?
I don't really know if I can say anything helpful as a general response, but I sympathise with the losing references. I had an NHS post once where my reference said she had posted it and faxed it and they still said they didn't have it. She was on nights at the time so could never ring as she faxed. In the end I went to her house (20 miles away) and then hand delivered it to the HR person handing it (20 miles in the opposite direction!). It was incredibly frustrating, but it worked. Something to consider?

aspiringpsych

Post by aspiringpsych » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:43 pm

I got a job offer last April and I didn't start until august this suited me though as I was completing a MSc and I had another job (which 6 weeks of that time was notice I had to give for it) but the rest of the time was them getting checks references n being organised and it was frustrating! so I know how you are feeling!

But Don't be angry with yourself about leaving employment the best thing with new employers and application forms is just be really honest and be yourself but be professional at the same time. They might appreciate that much more and I always think a genuine reason for leaving a post that you can put is to progress with your career no one can fault someone for that. You don't need to justify yourself that some other employer is making you wait as that is on their part and also employers will realise that people need to work somewhere to earn a living whether that's in a shop or what. I worked in my dads shop and I always still put that down so don't be too hard on yourself your doing the best you can in this climate!

That's just my thoughts on a couple of things you mentioned but I hope that helps! Hugs in the mean time, it doesn't sound like lately has been a great time but you will get there

nono

Post by nono » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:55 pm

Thank you all so much for the responses i really do feel better after reading them.

I will definitely consider hand delivering my reference! It's a very good idea. In the meantime though I decided to apply for a couple of other jobs in the private sector just in case this doesn't work out or I end up waiting longer. I also thought about doing some volunteering while I'm waiting to keep my brain working. Lately I've been feeling like working behind the till is something I will do for the rest of my life and it really affected my confidence.

Again thank you all for responding, you really are wonderful for giving me hope.

Nono x

BlueBird

Post by BlueBird » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:18 pm

I'm a bit late in replying but just wanted to say that:

1) Waiting for references is the most mind-numbing and frustrating process in the world. I have learned from bad experience that the *instant* you get a conditional job offer, you should immediately start chasing for references. Just calling your old employer straight away to let them know a reference request is on its way is fine, I think, and then calling weekly after that is the minimum I would do. People seem to love to ignore reference requests, and I have heard time and time again in the NHS of people waiting months for references. I feel it's unacceptable as it's costing an individual time and - very importantly - money. So I'm sorry this doesn't really help you much in your position now but all I can say is many, many people will feel your frustration!

2) Please don't let this experience affect your confidence! It sounds like you're well on your way to getting lots of relevant experience and 4 AP interviews is certainly impressive!!! Volunteering sounds like a great way to keep your mind occupied and adding to your experience :D

Hope things start looking up soon!

nono

Post by nono » Thu May 01, 2014 7:52 am

I just thought I'd give a quick update. I have now received a start date so all is looking good! Thank you for all the responses.