BPS / HCPC with international degree - who matters most?

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.

Re: BPS / HCPC with international degree - who matters most?

Postby trainee15 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:16 pm

MeganCF wrote:Thanks, Lakeland. I understand the difference, but from my reading I'd got the impression that it can be a disadvantage, in terms of job prospects, if you aren't chartered.

I've never experienced this. I'm one year qualified and I only know 1 person out of the 6 I work with that are BPS members (and therefore 'chartered') so I disagree with this.

If you worked privately it might be beneficial as you'd be easier to find as you'd be on the BPS register
trainee15

Postby nicolas » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:41 pm

MeganCF wrote:Great, thanks! :) Two lengthy posts! Hope they're helpful to others in my situation!

Out of interest, do you know the percentage of psychologists practising the UK who choose not to register with the BPS?

I'm interested now as to how common it is not to be on the Register.

I know I am a little bit out of date, but I am moving to UK and I it was very difficult for me to understand the system there. In my country the Bachelor's degree in Psychology (we call it Licentiate) is 6 years and after graduating you only have to register with the Ministry of Health to start working.

So I wandered a lot until I found this post. I was already finishing my HCPC international application form, thinking "okey, I am a clinical psychologist here so...", fail. I am now with the BPS, but I still have to familiarize myself on how to start working there.

Thanks for clarifying this!
nicolas

Postby Butterfly » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:55 pm

nicolas wrote:
MeganCF wrote:Great, thanks! :) Two lengthy posts! Hope they're helpful to others in my situation!

Out of interest, do you know the percentage of psychologists practising the UK who choose not to register with the BPS?

I'm interested now as to how common it is not to be on the Register.

I know I am a little bit out of date, but I am moving to UK and I it was very difficult for me to understand the system there. In my country the Bachelor's degree in Psychology (we call it Licentiate) is 6 years and after graduating you only have to register with the Ministry of Health to start working.

So I wandered a lot until I found this post. I was already finishing my HCPC international application form, thinking "okey, I am a clinical psychologist here so...", fail. I am now with the BPS, but I still have to familiarize myself on how to start working there.

Thanks for clarifying this!

Hello Nicolas,

To work in the UK as a qualified psychologist you need to apply through HCPC. You may be registered with the BPS, but this does not allow you to work as qualified psychologist in the UK.

I am not sure what you mean fail with the HCPC. I am happy to give you some more insight if you like. In the meantime, you may be eligible to work as assistant psychologist. I am not sure if you are from EU and if there are differences between EU and non-EU, but usually you can work as an assistant until you can clarify/sort out the registration.

I hope this helps.

:)
Butterfly

Postby miriam » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:24 am

As a non-EU person, you first need the right to live and work in the UK. Then you need to find out whether there is any hope of the HCPC giving equivalence to the British qualification (which is at Doctorate level), and then you need to apply for the highly competitive posts at the correct level - Assistant Psychologist if you can't get HCPC registration, or qualified practitioner psychologist if you can (though even with the HCPC registration, I'd expect employers to be highly sceptical about whether someone without doctorate level training would be suitable to fill a qualified CP position). To compete for such posts you will also need very fluent English and awareness of the services here. So, I think it is a very complex path to navigate, and not one we can give easy answers to.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
miriam
Site Admin

Postby nicolas » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:10 am

miriam wrote:As a non-EU person, you first need the right to live and work in the UK. Then you need to find out whether there is any hope of the HCPC giving equivalence to the British qualification (which is at Doctorate level), and then you need to apply for the highly competitive posts at the correct level - Assistant Psychologist if you can't get HCPC registration, or qualified practitioner psychologist if you can (though even with the HCPC registration, I'd expect employers to be highly sceptical about whether someone without doctorate level training would be suitable to fill a qualified CP position). To compete for such posts you will also need very fluent English and awareness of the services here. So, I think it is a very complex path to navigate, and not one we can give easy answers to.

Hi Miriam,

I hold a dual citizenship (EU), so I have the rights to work and live in the UK. About the HCPC, I already gave up that option as I don't have the qualifications to go for a CP. What is the difference with a practitioner psychologist? Either way, I believe I can fit the requiriments for Assistant Psychologist posts. I know they are very competitive too...

I also have my IELTS tests scores if it helps to probe my language skills.

What I feel I need firts is to understand a little the system here, how do apply for this job posts (is there a web page?), etc. I'm going to take it slow, as I understand that I have to start from zero in several aspects.
nicolas

Postby miriam » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:49 am

You need to have GBC from the BPS to apply for AP posts, and then get relevant UK experience. Once you have that, then keep an eye out for adverts on this website, and with smaller private employers as they are less competitive than those on NHSjobs (as it sounds, a website for all NHS job vacancies, where AP posts will each attract 100+ applicants) and jobs.ac.uk (academic jobs).
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
miriam
Site Admin

Postby nicolas » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:24 am

miriam wrote:You need to have GBC from the BPS to apply for AP posts, and then get relevant UK experience. Once you have that, then keep an eye out for adverts on this website, and with smaller private employers as they are less competitive than those on NHSjobs (as it sounds, a website for all NHS job vacancies, where AP posts will each attract 100+ applicants) and jobs.ac.uk (academic jobs).

Thanks Miriam!

This was really helpfull :)
nicolas

Previous

Return to Professional/Employment Issues