Newly qualified with HCPC - First Job Search

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.

Re: Newly qualified with HCPC - First Job Search

Postby Toria » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:10 am

Butterfly wrote:In addition, as a band 7 clinical psychologist you should still have weekly supervision, which is as much as you would get as an assistant psychologist.

I just wanted to flag up that the amount of supervision can vary between different services/Trusts. For example, in my previous job I had 1 hour of supervision a week, whereas in my current job I have 1.5 hours of supervision a month. Both of these jobs are band 7 CP roles. Although, in my old job, supervision covered line management as well, whereas this is separate in my current role.

This is something that can be helpful to ask about before you apply or at interview to help you decide whether the post is right for you in terms of the level of support that will be provided. Good luck!
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf - Jon Kabat-Zinn
Toria

Postby Butterfly » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:15 pm

Toria wrote:
Butterfly wrote:In addition, as a band 7 clinical psychologist you should still have weekly supervision, which is as much as you would get as an assistant psychologist.

I just wanted to flag up that the amount of supervision can vary between different services/Trusts. For example, in my previous job I had 1 hour of supervision a week, whereas in my current job I have 1.5 hours of supervision a month. Both of these jobs are band 7 CP roles. Although, in my old job, supervision covered line management as well, whereas this is separate in my current role.

This is something that can be helpful to ask about before you apply or at interview to help you decide whether the post is right for you in terms of the level of support that will be provided. Good luck!

This is good to know Toria. I have seen band 7 psychologist to get weekly supervision, but it is good to know it is not always the case. I guess it is the same as for assistant psychologists? The guidelines by bps & unison say it should be 2hrs a week, but not always happening ...
Butterfly

Postby Loula » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:40 pm

I wasn't aware there was an guidance about the amount of supervision you should get as a qualified CP- I'd be really interested if anyone has a link to any?

I'm a band 7 and get 1.5 hours fortnightly, and we're about to reduce it to 3-weekly as I complete my preceptorship. I'm also fortunate in that I get lots of informal input from the CPs in my service (there's only 3 of us)
Loula

Postby Toria » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:14 pm

Loula wrote:I wasn't aware there was an guidance about the amount of supervision you should get as a qualified CP- I'd be really interested if anyone has a link to any?

I'm a band 7 and get 1.5 hours fortnightly, and we're about to reduce it to 3-weekly as I complete my preceptorship. I'm also fortunate in that I get lots of informal input from the CPs in my service (there's only 3 of us)

http://www.bps.org.uk/system/files/Publ ... vision.pdf (Page 5)
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf - Jon Kabat-Zinn
Toria

Previous

Return to Professional/Employment Issues