Pros/cons: working as a newly qualified in private hospital?

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.

Pros/cons: working as a newly qualified in private hospital?

Postby pepper » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:22 pm

Hi, I'm newly qualified and have been offered a role in a private hospital. The role seems quite interesting and involves helping to develop a new service. The pay is above that for a band 7 so that's also a perk. However I'm a bit stuck on whether to accept this or wait out for other NHS posts, one of which I have an interview for on Friday. I haven't had any expereince of working in the private sector and wondered if if could get some views in the pros/cons... Maybe particularly in terms of:
The benefits (e.g. They state enhanced sick and paternity pay but I expect this may not be as much as NHS)
The impact on my CV - sounds odd but is private considered as valuable as NHS post qualifying experience?
I have been told there is some line management responsibility and that I would be supported and receive training for this, on the one hand this could be really valuable expereince but for some reason It makes me question if clinical psychologist roles in private sector are 'pulled' into more managerial roles?

Thoughts would be really appreciated. Feels like I need to make a good decision.

Thanks.
pepper
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:24 pm

Re: Pros/cons: working as a newly qualified in private hospi

Postby Alex » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:40 pm

I don't see why it would affect your career adversely. However, it should really be an 8a banded/paid post if you are helping to develop a new service and expected to line manage (likely to supervise too) - they are taking the mickey. You may find it better to be in a band 7 role, where you are connected with other psychologists, have good supervision and do not need to deal too much with politics/systems.
Alex
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:01 pm

Re: Pros/cons: working as a newly qualified in private hospi

Postby BlueCat » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:09 am

I think the variation between private sector providers is greater than that of public sector providers. I have only worked for one private sector provider, and I would say our band 7 staff were insufficiently supported or developed. They were expected to just get on with it. There was little in the way of cpd and no increments (the salary offered was the salary, end of, they had to argue hard for salary increases). Given the choice of two, I'd hold out for the NHS post if I were you. That said, your private employer may be different to the one I worked for, so all this could be irrelevant.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.
User avatar
BlueCat
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2784
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:42 pm

Re: Pros/cons: working as a newly qualified in private hospi

Postby Princess86 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:56 pm

I did my first qualified post in a private service at band 7. Would agree with PP that it should really be 8a with the level of autonomy and responsibility. I think it's gives a lot of valuable experience being so autonomous from the start but I missed the value of having psychology colleagues in-house and the opportunity to learn from senior colleagues. After being there for 2 years I got an 8a post now and I a, back in the NHS which I already prefer so much more. I think it depends on the service you're in though. Feel free to PM me if you want to ask anything more (I'm wary of putting too much on a public forum).
User avatar
Princess86
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:58 pm

Pros/cons: working as a newly qualified in private hospital?

Postby oncourse » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:40 pm

pepper wrote:Hi, I'm newly qualified and have been offered a role in a private hospital. The role seems quite interesting and involves helping to develop a new service. The pay is above that for a band 7 so that's also a perk. However I'm a bit stuck on whether to accept this or wait out for other NHS posts, one of which I have an interview for on Friday. I haven't had any expereince of working in the private sector and wondered if if could get some views in the pros/cons... Maybe particularly in terms of:
The benefits (e.g. They state enhanced sick and paternity pay but I expect this may not be as much as NHS)
The impact on my CV - sounds odd but is private considered as valuable as NHS post qualifying experience?
I have been told there is some line management responsibility and that I would be supported and receive training for this, on the one hand this could be really valuable expereince but for some reason It makes me question if clinical psychologist roles in private sector are 'pulled' into more managerial roles?

Thoughts would be really appreciated. Feels like I need to make a good decision.

Thanks.


Who funded your training generously and why?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oncourse
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Pros/cons: working as a newly qualified in private hospi

Postby ell » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:38 pm

oncourse wrote:Who funded your training generously and why?


By this logic, no one should be going for private jobs? Which leaves a bunch of CPs unemployed. Which the OP will be if they turn down the private job, don't get the job they interviewed for on Friday, and then just continue to 'hold out' for an NHS job. Perhaps they are lucky and don't need to pay rent or buy food.
User avatar
ell
Moderator
 
Posts: 2207
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: Pros/cons: working as a newly qualified in private hospi

Postby Geishawife » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:48 pm

oncourse wrote:Who funded your training generously and why?


And who is to say that the private organisation is not providing a service to NHS clients? I really think you should establish the full facts before making such heavily judgmental comments.
User avatar
Geishawife
Team Member
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:10 pm

Re: Pros/cons: working as a newly qualified in private hospi

Postby pepper » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:13 pm

Oh dear, I didn't envisage the post going down this route.

For your information, the post is the development of a service for NHS patients who otherwise would not get access to such a specialised service or would have to be moved out of area away from family to do so. The service is being informed by the NHS requirements - essentially it is the NHS funding this service which it is unable to provide itself.

Anyway, thank you very much to those who left helpful comments. That's given me some very useful things to think about.
pepper
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:24 pm

Re: Pros/cons: working as a newly qualified in private hospi

Postby BlueCat » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:17 pm

oncourse wrote:
Who funded your training generously and why?





The vast majority of private hospitals and care homes are funded by the NHS these days, so your argument is a bit of a non starter.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.
User avatar
BlueCat
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2784
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:42 pm

Re: Pros/cons: working as a newly qualified in private hospi

Postby ell » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:02 pm

pepper wrote:Oh dear, I didn't envisage the post going down this route.

For your information, the post is the development of a service for NHS patients who otherwise would not get access to such a specialised service or would have to be moved out of area away from family to do so. The service is being informed by the NHS requirements - essentially it is the NHS funding this service which it is unable to provide itself.

Anyway, thank you very much to those who left helpful comments. That's given me some very useful things to think about.


Sounds like an interesting post. And a helpful reminder that the NHS/private distinction is becoming less so.
User avatar
ell
Moderator
 
Posts: 2207
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: Pros/cons: working as a newly qualified in private hospi

Postby lakeland » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:45 am

I get that private hospitals provide care where the NHS does not / cannot, but I don't get why we're all just accepting that this is ok now. Maybe I'm naive and idealistic, but it doesn't sit right with me that companies are allowed to profit from the Tory government slowly destroying the NHS. Yes, people should get access to services they need, but if the NHS is funding them, they should be providing them too.
lakeland
 
Posts: 839
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:18 pm

Re: Pros/cons: working as a newly qualified in private hospi

Postby BlueCat » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:55 am

lakeland wrote:I get that private hospitals provide care where the NHS does not / cannot, but I don't get why we're all just accepting that this is ok now. Maybe I'm naive and idealistic, but it doesn't sit right with me that companies are allowed to profit from the Tory government slowly destroying the NHS. Yes, people should get access to services they need, but if the NHS is funding them, they should be providing them too.


I agree completely. However, this is what the Tory government has done to the NHS. Services are tendered out to ANY QUALIFIED PROVIDER. This means that many services are provided routinely within the private sector in England (the picture is a little different in Scotland and Wales). GP services, elective surgery, scans, screening, in some places entire mental health Trusts are run within the private sector. The adoption support fund in England is another interesting example of this I think.

With regard to the more specialist services (such as adolescent inpatient psychiatric services, specialist personality disorder services, brain injury rehab etc) there have been provided privately/third sector for a long long time, long before the patchwork privatisation agenda, as there just isn't the demand in any one Trust except the very largest to support these types of specialist services. So short of each quarter of the country joining together to set up and run one (which isn't a bad idea, but probably wouldn't work with commissioning, communication, CCG priorities etc), the only option is to spot purchase this type of provision as and when needed.

I agree it is rubbish that private companies (and as a result, the private individuals who run these companies) should profit from central government health funding. With staff whose terms and conditions are way worse than within the NHS. Where the end goal is not just improvement for the people using the services, but also a heavy eye on profitability. However, this is where we are. It is not OK. But it is the health/social care landscape in England. Honestly, I know I've said this before, but I don't think there will be an NHS left in England in 30 years unless we elect a labour government and hold on to them for a good long time.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.
User avatar
BlueCat
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2784
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:42 pm

Re: Pros/cons: working as a newly qualified in private hospi

Postby Lowri » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:07 pm

But Labour are hardly free from blame in all this! Under whose jurisdiction was it that marketisation was properly ramped up in the NHS? When the PFIs which still cripple the trusts who had to buy into them were established?

Sorry, but Labour are not blameless.
Lowri
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:47 pm

Re: Pros/cons: working as a newly qualified in private hospi

Postby maven » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:36 am

Which flavour of politicians hold which proportion of the blame aside, the point is that it was unreasonable to blindly castigate the OP for considering a private post, when this may be providing NHS services - the OP has no control over the way politics has allowed creeping privatisation of NHS services over the past decade, they are just trying to find a job they can do to help clients in their area.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare
User avatar
maven
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1819
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: Pros/cons: working as a newly qualified in private hospi

Postby BlueCat » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:41 am

Lowri wrote:But Labour are hardly free from blame in all this! Under whose jurisdiction was it that marketisation was properly ramped up in the NHS? When the PFIs which still cripple the trusts who had to buy into them were established?

Sorry, but Labour are not blameless.


OK, I'll retract the party political blame and say "government" (although "new" labour was really just Tory lite :) )
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.
User avatar
BlueCat
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2784
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:42 pm

Next

Return to Professional/Employment Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Geishawife and 5 guests