4-6 Sessions of CBT?

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.

4-6 Sessions of CBT?

Postby Natty872 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:48 pm

Hi,

I am a newly qualified CBT/HI therapist and have just joined a service that offers 4-6 sessions of CBT at step 3. My understanding is that they will offer more if a clear rationale is provided. However, the average that most step 3 therapists offer is around 5. I was hoping to join a service and work towards consolidating all my new skills and if I'm restricted to such a small number of sessions I'm worried that I will become deskilled? In addition to this, I was under the belief that this might be unethical?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Natty872

Re: 4-6 Sessions of CBT?

Postby Ppepper25 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:42 am

That sounds really difficult, being Newlyn qualified myself I would find it very hard. Is the service in the locality that you did your training? I don't understand how the high intensity course can teach one thing, which, I assume, is the evidenced based protocol, then workers are expected to deliver something else.

How do your colleagues get on with it, and what's the recovery rates in the service? Do a lot of the clients go on to other treatment options, like step 2 or a course? I personally think it's unethical, however I'm not sure what BABCP or other professional bodies would think.
Ppepper25

Return to Professional/Employment Issues