How long did you stay in first qualified post?

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.

How long did you stay in first job after finishing training?

< 6 months
11%
7-11 months
16%
1 year
16%
1.5 years
11%
2 years
21%
2.5 years
5%
3+ years
21%

Total votes : 19

How long did you stay in first qualified post?

Postby Peach » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:04 pm

I’m currently in my first post after finishing training. It’s part time and fixed term providing maternity cover. I have another job, which I have not yet started but anticipate starting in December and this is permanent, but also part time and will fit nicely round my current job.

I made the decision a month ago that I want to move out of area next year, most likely in the springtime. This has left me feeling a little anxious about leaving my jobs after only being there a short while. My contract in my current role ends at the end of April so the chances are I will finish that but even if I didn’t the person whose maternity I’m covering will be back in January so it would make me feel less guilty about possibly leaving before the contract ends. Although I know my manager would not be happy about this.

The second job I feel most guilty about and not quite sure how to navigate. I’m not moving until I have tied a few loose ends where I am currently living which will probably be around March/April time. And it’s also contingent on me finding a job in my preferred specialty in my preferred location which could take a while anyway, particularly because I work in quite a niche area. Although that being said there have been quite a few jobs I want cropping up in the area I’m planning to move to which is partly why I want to move there.

Anyway I’m just hoping for a bit of advice and opinions. When I start my other job should I give them forewarning that I won’t be sticking around for long? Or should I just keep mum until I have secured another job? If I don’t say anything how do I circumvent being signed up for things that might happen after I hope to leave without leaving them in the lurch e.g. my manager is trying to get me to attend a publicity event on behalf of the service in April and I’m hoping to have gone by then. I also wondered how long people stayed in their first post after finishing training? What made you leave?

Ideally I didn’t want it to be this way but life happens. I’m sorry if there is already a thread on this, I do vaguely remember reading a similar topic a few years ago but can’t for the life of me find it.
The best thing about this signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything, it's too late for you to stop reading.
Peach

Re: How long did you stay in first qualified post?

Postby Loula » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:06 pm

I stayed in my first post for 5 months, but that was through circumstances not choice as the service was closing (I'd been there 3 weeks when that was announced!). Personally I'd not say anything, especially as there is nothing definite. You might end up having more difficulties if you plan to leave and it takes longer than planned. I wouldn't worry too much about loyalty to services- I think it is understood that many won't stay in first posts for long, and I learnt the hard way that services/jobs aren't as reliable as they were.

I'm still in my second post (it was a preceptorship) and like you it was an area end speciality I'd been considering for a while. I think I would have likely still applied for it even if my job hadn't been at risk. Almost everyone in my cohort has changed jobs within the first 2 years- some due to contract types, changing speciality, relocating and getting promotions.
Loula

Postby astra » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:09 pm

Mine was a locum post and I left when a substantive post came up, which I was then in for over 10 years.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn
astra

Postby BlueCat » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:55 pm

I did five years in my first post, three years in my second post, three years in my third post and am 8 months into my fourth post. For me, this was more governed by when posts came up in the specialty I wanted, within commuting distance than anything else!
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.
BlueCat
Site Admin

Postby Ruthie » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:57 pm

IMHO there's nothing to tell until there's something to tell so I would stay stum, do the best job you can do and apply for anything else that appeals until such time as you have a job offer. Also, bear in mind that there could be some months between being offered a job, getting all the pre employment checks through and even handing in your notice before you would be able to start so for the temporary post, that may well take you close to the end of your contract anyway.

I think people understand that if you have a temporary job or a combination of part time roles (especially if one of those roles is temporary) then it makes a lot of sense to look for a permanent full time post. No-one will judge you for it.

I wouldn't worry about it and definitely don't overthink it.

Good luck!

Ruthie
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken Him completely by surprise.
Ruthie

Postby schizometric » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:37 pm

I agree with Ruthie! I have moved around a little; I did 4-6 weeks in my very first post but this was temporary (supposed to be 6 months). I got offered a permanent post before I started that first post so I told them as soon as I could and stayed as long as I could without seriously irritating the new employer (they were known to me professionally from the course, etc).

I stayed in my first "real" post for a year. Then I moved onto a more senior post in a different but related specialty for 2 years, and then moved to a more senior post within the same trust/specialty just this week.

My impression is, don't worry too much!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
schizometric

Postby Peach » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:08 pm

Thanks for the replies, it was certainly helpful to read. Just to update, I decided to turn down the post that I had not yet started. My dream job came up shortly afterwards in my ideal location and I was offered the role which I gladly accepted. I should hopefully be starting that in early March. I recently handed in my notice in the role I'm currently in and as I expected my supervisor was non too pleased and made me feel really guilty about leaving. The atmosphere is really awkward between us now and I'm counting down the days until I leave, I wish there wasn't such a long notice period!
The best thing about this signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything, it's too late for you to stop reading.
Peach

Postby astra » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:50 pm

It will soon pass Peach and I hope the dream job will turn out to be everything you are hoping it will be.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn
astra

Return to Professional/Employment Issues