Pay negotiations

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.

Pay negotiations

Postby krm49 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:50 pm

Hi everyone

I am an overseas qualified clinical psychologist who has rcently moved to the UK and I have just been offered a band 7 role. I'm wondering how negotiable the starting point within band 7 is as they have offered me the bottom of the salary scale and I have 4 years of qualified experience in related/relevant areas in so feel I quality to start higher on the band.

My second question is, if there is room to negotiate, what would be the correct process for doing so and who would I contact? So far I have just received the conditional offer in writing.

Thanks in advance for your help!
krm49

Re: Pay negotiations

Postby alexh » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:17 am

If you can argue that your previous experience means you meet the knowledge and skills framework (KSF) for the role you might stand a chance of entering at either the first or second gateway point rather than the base point.

You might speak to the lead psychologist in the team and then team manager

It probably also depends on how good the second best interviewee was and how much difficulty they had filling the post.
alexh

Postby BlueCat » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:00 pm

If it is an NHS post, it will come down to that particular trust's own policy on discretionary starting salary. Some will consider non NHS experience, some won't, and some will up to a maximum threshold. You will need to check with the trust what their policy is. Unless your non NHS role has been very similar to your soon to be NHS role, it is probably doubtful, but definitely worth asking.

If it is a private post, anything goes really, and I would recommend negotiating hard. I've worked in the private sector, and my colleagues and I were on very different salaries depending on what we'd negotiated. Good luck
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.
BlueCat
Site Admin

Postby krm49 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:14 am

Hi just an update for anyone who is in this position in the future. I provided HR with the job description from my previous role and out of my 3yrs 10 months experience, they credited me one spine jump for each full year of experience so 3 steps up from the botyom overall. I think that's probably the best I could hope for anywhere in the NHS.
krm49

Return to Professional/Employment Issues