Changing your mind after accepting a post - burning bridges?

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.

Changing your mind after accepting a post - burning bridges?

Postby MissLou » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:37 pm

Hi all...

I'm looking for some advice. About a month ago I accepted a part time fixed term post. At the time I had no other interviews lined up. Ideally I was looking for a permanent post with more hours than what was on offer, however I accepted the post because I really like the team and the nature of the work...

I planned to use this as a "foot in the door" and hoped that I could find some more hours and/or that a permanent post might come up at a later date, which would take my hours up to full time (or at least more part time hours). However I have been slightly anxious as I really cannot manage financially on the number of hours/salary currently on offer for longer than a few months and there are no guarantees that additional hours or a permanent post will come up anytime soon.

Anyway I had an interview yesterday for a post that sounds really great. It's a permanent post and they can offer me the exact amount of hours that I am looking for! They have now offered me the position and I'm really keen to accept.

Now I'm feeling really torn - I know I would be massively inconveniencing the manager of the first post if I were to change my mind and pull out now. They have spent time on my recruitment checks and we should be agreeing a start date soon. However the permanent post I have been offered seems a better choice as it's permanent and will provide me with the right amount of hours/salary etc. The team seem great and the work is with a client group I am very keen to work with.

If I change my mind about the first post and pull out would this be incredibly poor job etiquette and potentially mean I burn my bridges in terms of working there in the future? I know clinical psychology is a small world and so this concerns me a bit. Also from an ethical standpoint I would feel quite guilty for inconveniencing the manager/team.

Any advice welcome!
MissLou

Re: Changing your mind after accepting a post - burning brid

Postby astra » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:56 pm

I think any reasonable person would understand that a permanent post with full time hours would be better than a part time fixed term post and although annoying for them, I'm sure they would understand and accept your decision to pull out. This sort of thing happens a lot, people's circumstances change all the time and it's just one of those things that happens.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn
astra

Postby Geishawife » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:29 pm

I agree with Astra - I really don't think anyone would question your decision if you choose a post that is, in every way, better for you and your circumstances. Given that you haven't even started the post yet (indeed, don't even have a start date!) it is quite acceptable to say you've been offered something that better meets your needs. As far as inconveniencing people goes, it would be even more inconvenient if you started, where there a couple of months and THEN left! Good luck with the new job.
Geishawife
Team Member

Postby ell » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:21 pm

What astra and Geishawife said, and to expand on that, let them know as soon as possible (as easy as it would be to put off making a difficult call!), as the sooner they know the less inconvenience it will be. They may even have a backup person they can ring.
ell

Postby MissLou » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:12 pm

Thank you all! I'm glad that this is not an unusual situation and that I hopefully won't be burning bridges.

I agree that I should contact the employer for the fixed term post ASAP. I'm planning to do this as soon as I get a formal offer from the job I was offered two days ago. I am planning to email and explain and offer to speak on the phone too if they would prefer. Perhaps the cowardly way of communicating the bad news!

I never thought I would be choosing between jobs so soon after qualifying! :shock:
MissLou

Postby MissLou » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:30 pm

Just to update - I emailed the person who would have been my line manager and they were so lovely and understanding about my decision. Phew!
MissLou

Return to Professional/Employment Issues