Off sick during fourth week of new job

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.

Off sick during fourth week of new job

Postby Prosopon » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:16 am

I have recently started a new job as an Activities Coordinator in a care home and this is my fourth week, but yesterday I had to go to the Urgent Care Centre with severe abdominal pain. The nurse I saw diagnosed Gastritis and I was advised to take antacids and eat small, bland meals etc, which I have been doing. Since doing my own research I actually think I have a duodenal ulcer, as the pain symptoms start to occur when I am hungry/my stomach is empty and are almost immediately alleviated by eating. Anyway, last night I woke up several times in agony and had to get up to eat.

I have had to call in sick to work today because I am completely exhausted, feel generally unwell and keep getting bouts of agonising pain about every 1-3 hours. I don't get a break at work as I only work 5 hours, 4 days a week and am not sure I would be allowed to take short breaks to eat. When I called in I asked that instead of taking a sick day today, could I swap my day to Friday (which I don't usually work) but they wouldn't let me do this as they "don't allow the care workers to do this, so it wouldn't be fair". I am upset about this as I think swapping the day makes sense (no recorded sickness absence for me, no having to pay sick pay and losing out on activities for them) but it's their choice I suppose.

I am seeing my GP this afternoon to talk through the possibility of having an ulcer and for advice on how to manage my symptoms during the night so I can sleep fully. But I am so worried about what this looks like to my employer and am mortified about going off sick so early in the job. I can't stop feeling anxious about the whole situation. Do I have reason to be worried? I can't lose my job over this, can I? The timing is just so unfortunate. I suppose I am also worried about trying to go back and then having to take more time off because I can't manage. Is it better to try to go in tomorrow or to stay off until I feel completely better or am at least managing my symptoms better? Any advice/reassurance would be greatly appreciated.
"Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

~From Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
Prosopon

Re: Off sick during fourth week of new job

Postby Charlie » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:15 pm

Sorry to hear you are unwell. Stay off until you are well. It depends on their policy, but everywhere I've worked counts the periods of absence rather than the number of days - so taking one day off or one week off, is recorded as a single absence. So it can actually end up worse on your sickness record if you drag yourself in and then have to go off sick again the next day. Obviously I don't know your company's policy, but regardless, you need to get well before going back to work. You aren't going to lose your job over one period of sickness!
Charlie

Postby Prosopon » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:07 pm

Charlie wrote:Sorry to hear you are unwell. Stay off until you are well. It depends on their policy, but everywhere I've worked counts the periods of absence rather than the number of days - so taking one day off or one week off, is recorded as a single absence. So it can actually end up worse on your sickness record if you drag yourself in and then have to go off sick again the next day. Obviously I don't know your company's policy, but regardless, you need to get well before going back to work. You aren't going to lose your job over one period of sickness!

Thank you for your response and the reassurance.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

Prosopon

Postby Monroe » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:03 am

Look after yourself. No one owes it to ANY employer to work themselves ill. And if you've offered to work an alternate day and they've said no then 1) they know you're not just messing about and 2) the place won't collapse in your absence.

Easier said than done but really try to focus on getting better, you sound very poorly. No job is worth risking your health.

p.s. also it is very much true about the number of absences versus length of absence. A few weeks off sick is better than patchy absences.
Monroe

Postby Prosopon » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:28 am

Monroe wrote:Look after yourself. No one owes it to ANY employer to work themselves ill. And if you've offered to work an alternate day and they've said no then 1) they know you're not just messing about and 2) the place won't collapse in your absence.

Easier said than done but really try to focus on getting better, you sound very poorly. No job is worth risking your health.

p.s. also it is very much true about the number of absences versus length of absence. A few weeks off sick is better than patchy absences.

Thank you. Yeah, I did offer them a solution, which they didn't accept so that's their problem, I suppose.

I went back yesterday as I am managing my symptoms a bit better. The back to work interview irritated me as I was asked, "what impact do you think sickness absence has on the team and business?" with the team leader telling me it has "a big impact". I was off for 10 hours in total and my job role has been empty for months so I don't think it was a big deal that I was off. I don't understand making people feel guilty for being ill. I know some people take sick days when they really could go in, but those of us who only stay away when genuinely ill shouldn't be made to feel bad about something we have no control over! Grrrrrr. Vent over!

Prosopon

Return to Professional/Employment Issues