Publication Issues

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.

Publication Issues

Postby Nelly » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:01 am

I have been writing up part of my masters project for publication and I recently submitted the paper to a journal. When I submitted the paper, there had been a mix up and the editor didn't actually receive my submission.

Anyways, once I got that sorted, the editor agreed to try and process the paper and send it to reviewers asap, and I soon received confirmation that it was under review and would take approx 8 weeks for a decision. Within a few weeks I received an email from that editor stating that the journal's new publishers are conducting a review into the content of the journal and have asked for all submissions to be put on hold with no indication of how long the review will take. I haven't heard anything since.

I was just wondering if anyone can advise me on what to do in this situation please? I understand that I can wait, but it's already been a while and I'd obviously like to get things moving with this paper.

Thanks you.
Nelly

Re: Publication Issues

Postby ell » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:26 am

I'm really not an expert in publication stuff, but I don't see there is anything you can do in this situation, other than e-mailing to get an update on the situation. Can you try and submit to a different journal?
ell

Postby Nelly » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:46 pm

That's what I wasn't sure about... I was under the impression that you can't submit to two journals simultaneously... but it might be justified in this situation maybe?
Nelly

Postby sarahg » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:19 pm

Hi,

I'm a little confused by your post, but I would pull your submission from that journal and resubmit elsewhere.
Just email saying your withdrawing the submission.

Edit: Don't submit to two journals. It's not a wise idea for a number of reasons.
sarahg

Postby Charlie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:33 pm

I'd drop them an email first to ask if they can give you a timeframe for how long it will take, then decide whether to withdraw it or not.
Charlie

Postby Nelly » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:16 pm

Thanks for the replies. I did email the editor not long ago but haven't had a response yet. I'll try again and if there's no luck i'll ask for the paper to be withdrawn. Appreciate the help :)
Nelly

Return to Academic/Research