Appropriate Qual Method

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.

Appropriate Qual Method

Postby huwtube » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:56 am

Hi all,

I am doing some research in a psychiatric service interviewing people about their delusions. I have a specific question in mind (are delusions beliefs?) and am getting a lot of qualitative data that could speak to that question (I have a bunch of prompts that I have designed to investigate whether these delusions behave in a way that one would expect if they were indeed beliefs). In addition to some quant data I am gathering, I would love to analyse the verbal responses qualitatively in a more formal way than I initially envisaged. However I don't have experience with Qual methodology. Can any qualitative people advise how you would analyse verbal responses that are given to specific prompts? I am not really looking for phenomenological themes or what-it's-likeness, I am more wanting to examine answers people give and see whether they do or do not indicate certain characteristics.

Any readings or methodological suggestions would be welcome!

Many thanks.
Some people are different from the rest of us, and so are the rest of us.
huwtube

Re: Appropriate Qual Method

Postby sarahg » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:29 pm

If you're not interested in identifying themes you could do content analyses?
sarahg

Postby lingua_franca » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:01 pm

How many interviews are you doing and how in-depth are they? Like Sarah, I'd suggest content analysis, but that works best when you have quite a substantial amount of data and I don't think it suits smaller-scale studies. Alternatively, remember that thematic doesn't automatically mean phenomenological - you can do a bare-bones thematic analysis without delving into subjective experience and meaning-making.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.
lingua_franca

Postby huwtube » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:29 am

Thanks for your thoughts Sarah and Lingua Franca. I'm aiming at 20, but I may do more at the current rate. The interviews are semi-structured, and are yielding moderately code-able answers so far. Content analysis looks appropriate, but I will also look into examples of thematic analysis.
Some people are different from the rest of us, and so are the rest of us.
huwtube

Return to Academic/Research