IPA Dissertation, Master Table advice

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.

IPA Dissertation, Master Table advice

Postby Claz140 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:51 pm

I am currently completing my master table for my IPA analysis and I am struggling to find quotes for my chosen subordinate themes for all of my subjects. I have attempted to try a deeper analysis but some of the transcripts are very different to each other. Does each subject for each theme have to have a page/line number within the table or can there be gaps if explained in the write up?
Claz140

Re: IPA Dissertation, Master Table advice

Postby lingua_franca » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:12 am

I used IPA for my PhD thesis and I didn't include page or line numbers in the master table, just themes, sub-themes, and quotations that illustrated them. I don't think it's necessary to put in page and line numbers unless your transcripts are publicly accessible.

I don't understand the rest of your question. If you can't pinpoint quotations for each of your themes, then how can you say that those themes are present in the interviews? With IPA you are supposed to remain very close to the transcripts and comb through them multiple times, not extract quotations at the end that fit retroactively with what you've chosen to write about.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.
lingua_franca

Postby Claz140 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:23 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I had interviewed nine people. Say for a particular theme seven out of the nine have quotations that fit that theme, yet two do not. I feel the theme is important but I can't seem to find anything that fits the theme accordingly for the remaining two people, can I still use this theme?
Claz140

Postby lingua_franca » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:02 pm

Yes. It would be highly unusual for nine transcripts to all contain identical themes and strands of thinking, and remember that with IPA you aren't doing statistics - you don't need a certain numerical threshold in order for information to be significant.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.
lingua_franca

Postby Claz140 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:33 am

Thank you. I felt that that should be the case but the academic book I am using to guide my analysis made me question this.
I have one more question. In my final submission for my dissertation, what exactly is included in the word count? Would the references or my appendices be included?
Claz140

Postby han10 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:21 pm

Hi Claz140,

I doubt lingua will be able to answer your question with any degree of absolute certainty about word count as this is potentially individual to the university you are studying at. * normally *, but do check, references and appendices are not included. I would suggest you consult whatever handbook you have been given about completing your dissertation and/or check with others doing your course/course administrators/lecturers.

Good luck
han10

Return to Academic/Research