The Cathartic thread - rant here!

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.

Re: The Cathartic thread - rant here!

Postby Geishawife » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:56 pm

AryaStark wrote:I know that exact feeling and it's incredibly hard. I now have my first AP post and I'm hoping the struggle will ease off now and I can enjoy the journey. I would suggest looking out for other paid posts that aren't an AP post. An AP post isn't needed to get on to the DClin (if that's where you're headed) and there are a lot of other rewarding/enjoyable posts in mental health. Try looking for support worker roles, healthcare assistant or therapy assistant roles. This could lead towards the Dclin or an AP post later down the line. Good luck! Remember to keep going if it's something you really want. The rejection gets to us so much sometimes

I would echo this, but would also add don't confine your search to jobs in mental health. Many roles in physical health could be equally rewarding and help you develop a mass of skills. Not all CPs work in mental health, hence roles in other areas can be equally helpful on the career path.
Geishawife
Team Member

Postby lingua_franca » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:39 pm

Training day at work. Some of the staff obviously had a very low opinion of the trainer. It began with them whispering and laughing when she was trying to speak, which I find rude enough, and progressed to them criticising and nitpicking everything she said. At one point I felt that she was positively being bullied. She seemed overwhelmed and was struggling to handle people putting words into her mouth and then shouting out their disagreement in an increasingly confrontational manner, so I spoke up to refocus the session. I'm normally quite a shy and softly spoken person but in that moment I was angry and able to be assertive. I don't think the trainer was terribly skilled (she should have got a handle on the group), but we're all adults and we should be able to be polite to someone who's teaching us without being made to be polite, even if the session isn't the most interesting one in the world. Also, we were a mix of HCAs and nurses today, and it really irritates and bothers me that the worst offenders were nurses - way to undermine your colleague like that. :evil:
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.
lingua_franca

Postby astra » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:40 am

So I'd finally found half a day clear to review a paper I'd been asked to review for a journal. I went to log on, got rejected, reset my account details, faffed around for over an hour with it, eventually got onto the "Review an article" page, looked at the "articles to review" list, it consisted of no articles. Emailed the person back who'd asked me in the first place and have had no reply. I don't know when I'll have another half day free to do this. On the upside I've cleared out a load of old emails from my inbox whilst waiting :roll:
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn
astra

Postby SheRa » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:07 pm

Effing stupid effing training provider, if I fail it is YOUR FAILURE for not providing me with good enough supervision what with all the drift into another therapy modality and over sharing of your life, and I'll be so ready to make a formal complaint about it >:[
By the Power of Grey Skull!
SheRa

Postby lakeland » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:18 am

I generally love my job, and know how lucky I am, but sometimes the thought of 30 more years of working 5 days a week is just overwhelmingly bleak!
lakeland

Postby lingua_franca » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:03 pm

Today I got assaulted by an extremely agitated patient while agency support workers just stood there as if they were playing musical statues, and they didn't intervene even though I'd yanked my alarm. I don't understand how it is that permanent staff have to spend time as supernumeraries before they're allowed to work, but hospitals are prepared to take in agency staff who have never been here before and may never have even worked in this sort of environment. I'm livid.
- A.A. Milne.
lingua_franca

Postby Esuma » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:08 pm

I do wonder about agencies sometimes... one day we had someone turn up for a night shift where we work on minimal numbers who had never worked in care before let alone worked in our high risk forensic hospital. Ridiculous! I'm sorry for what happened to you, so dangerous...

I have had some great experiences with agency staff, particularly the very experience nurses who were on an 'agency contract' with our ward who are extremely hard working and knowledgeable. But other staff seem to be there purely for the money and coast on by doing the minimal they possibly can. If you can work a 12.5 hour shift and the patients don't even know who you are by the end of it there's something odd going on... sure the patients take more notice of permanent and bank staff as they are likely to be around more consistently but still...

My own rant:

Just got back from a lovely holiday and our boiler has packed in... no heating, no hot water. I just had a long haul flight and have no way of showering since it's even so cold it's hard washing your hands let alone having a freezing shower. Plus I've done no uni work since I got in or really any tidying or organised anything I was supposed to for this party at the weekend where nearly 16 people are somehow sleeping in our house and probably now with no hot water. I start a secondment with my work tomorrow so would really quite like to not turn up to work having not showered. I also haven't done any of the clinpsy form and the deadline is rapidly approaching. Instead of doing anything to solve any of these issues I've cocooned myself in layers and duvets and have the dehumidifier blasting warm air at me. Still cold. Still achieved nothing. :shock:
Esuma

Postby reishi » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:14 pm

...why is matlab requiring 10 gb place, my first born, and an arm to set up....
"Ever since psychoanalysis came up, everybody's ill more or less."
reishi

Postby miriam » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:50 am

People who go back on their word and don't do what they agree to do. I've had two major examples recently, and it has been very stressful and left a horrible mess for me to sort out.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
miriam
Site Admin

Postby HayleyT » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:07 pm

The Speakmans!

I didn't want to start a new thread as I think I remember previous discussion but I hadn't actually watched them until now, pinned down by two sleeping ill children and unable to reach the remote. They have just been highlighting how much more effective their therapy (with no evidence base) was for one man with ptsd like symptoms than seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist. They followed up with claims that it should be available on the nhs and that the only reason it has no evidence base is because no British Universities will support them. Surely a clinician touting a new wonder therapy so publicly has some responsibility for developing the evidence base!

Im sure the NHS would welcome a 1 session therapy for everything if it had evidence - unless they also expect that the effects they report on tv are augmented by the fact they are on tv with enormous social pressure to report improvement, careful selection of participant and lack of follow up.

Ah that feels better though now stuck with starsigns, next time priorise the remote!
HayleyT

Postby lingua_franca » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:48 pm

The zeal for armchair-diagnosing Donald Trump with a whole shopping list of mental health conditions, especially when it's done by people who are passionate about justice and social equality. :evil:

On the positive side, a few people who were doing this did actually listen to me and respond well when I pointed out the stigma.
- A.A. Milne.
lingua_franca

Postby astra » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:49 pm

Ordered myself a very expensive new wheelchair a few months ago, using my entire wheelchair services grant and Access to Work grant and money of my own. It came 2 days before Christmas, but they'd got the measurements completely wrong. Sent it back after New Year when they opened again after the break, they agreed they'd screwed up and rebuilt it as a priority, it came back yesterday and it's still wrong, not quite as wrong as before but still wrong. I've been having email conversations all day about it, and they've gone very quiet on me now. Feeling really p'd off and worried about it. Ultimately I could just sell it on e-bay or something and buy a different one from a company I've used before, but really hoping it doesn't come to that.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn
astra

Postby firegal » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:53 pm

Had an absolutely horrible day last week dealing with a family in crisis on placement and getting the full experience of the "it's not our problem, what about X team, why hasn't Y person done Z" which had me crying at my desk with frustration, with neither of my two placement supervisors around to support me (obviously there were other psychology staff around and generally my colleagues were lovely, but I still felt terribly alone and unable to cope).
Trying to spend today reading up on some of the services and systems in place meant to support young people and families in crisis to get my head around the system a little better, and all it's doing is making me feel even more hopeless. Honestly feel like I don't want to go back in tomorrow :(
firegal

Postby enchanted » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:50 pm

Really toxic work environments that are made up of 'cliques,' gossip, a lack of management, 0 recognition and unsupportive supervisors/line managers that happen to be the same person so it's virtually impossible to raise a grievance. Sigh, and the thought of working 5 days per week for another 40 years or so.. or possibly more as the govt raise and raise the retirement age. Gee whiz.
enchanted

Postby ChrisCross » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:17 pm

One thing that is really grating on me recently is the quality of referrals that come into our service... Things like "Behaviour concerns. Low mood. Needs help." Thank you for your enlightening information, Dr so and so, you really help to make the screening process that much smoother (Ahhhhhh!)

Also, man-flu. Really not great when you're sat in a DClinPsy screening test, sniffing constantly, with swollen eyes and a migraine (definitely feeling sorry for myself right now) :(
ChrisCross

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous: Related to Psychology