Undergraduate stats help

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.

Undergraduate stats help

Postby kezkel » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:43 pm

Hi,
I have just completed my first year at Kent studying psychology. I am really happy with my overall mark but have really struggled with stats and my mark reflects this.
I was wondering if any one knows of any good resources that I could use to basically re teach myself the whole years stats work. I have tried using textbooks and rewatching lecture recordings but am really not getting anything. I think i need something more interactive that uses games and is in bitesize chunks.
Thanks 
kezkel

Re: Undergraduate stats help

Postby hs577 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:34 pm

I personally found pallant spss survival guide useful as it goes over designs of studies. However, if you're looking for something interactive anything by field :)
hs577

Postby workingmama » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:37 pm

Hi Kezkel,

Which books are you using? I can recommend a few, and then I'd work your way through each book using the online support for the specific bits you find hard (e.g. You'll find 'effect size' discussed in Andy Field, and it's great, but the specific FAQ effect size book I have and the associated website is great for JUST THAT ONE THING). There may be a website that brings everything together, but I'm afraid I don't know it. Andy Field's statistics hell website is great though on the whole if I were to go for just one site: http://www.discoveringstatistics.com

If there is a specific thing you're stuck with, I'm happy to be PMd (whereupon I won't be able to help :lol: )

Good luck, and stick with it, it (stats) gets easier.
Fail, fail again, fail better.
workingmama
Team Member

Postby Roz93 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:36 pm

Hi Kezkel,

I feel your pain! Stats used to be the scourge of my existence and really affected my 2nd year course mark - I'd thoroughly recommend 'Introduction to Statistics in Psychology' by Howitt & Cramer - it teaches everything at a deep level, but in an easy-to-understand format! Ignore that it says 'introduction' - its a really comprehensive source for undergraduate study.

Good luck!
Roz93

Postby firegal » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:50 am

Going to echo the shouts for Andy Field and his Statistics Hell website. Also, if you search him on youtube you can find some of his lectures in addition to some SPSS videos he does.

One thing I will say is that if you're anything like me then when a worksheet gives you an example dataset you kind of glance over it go "yeah, that kind of makes sense" without ever going anywhere near a computer or spreadsheet. Honestly, the only time I started feeling like I actually "got" stats was when I finally got around to my dissertation and having to construct the analysis on that. There is nothing better for getting your head around stats than actually opening up SPSS, getting some data in there and having a good play!
firegal

Postby benbrand » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:42 pm

Kent grad here.

Don't worry, stats in the the first year was probably as difficult as it gets! I struggled pretty significantly and ended up with 39% in the exam :/, but a 2:1 in that module. Year 2 was all based on SPSS and the exams were fairly straight forward. You'll do fine :) Just keep up with workshops and lectures.
benbrand

Postby kezkel » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:48 pm

Hi
I just wanted to say thank you for everyone's help. I've spent most of summer using Andy Field's books and feel like I am in a much better place to start 2nd year then I was before

benbrand wrote:Kent grad here.

Don't worry, stats in the the first year was probably as difficult as it gets! I struggled pretty significantly and ended up with 39% in the exam :/, but a 2:1 in that module. Year 2 was all based on SPSS and the exams were fairly straight forward. You'll do fine :) Just keep up with workshops and lectures.

A massive thank you for this. I've heard some horror story's from third years about 2nd year stats so its great to hear this.
kezkel

Return to Miscellaneous: Related to Psychology