Stress - glass of water analogy

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.

Stress - glass of water analogy

Postby jennyfrecks » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:40 pm

Does anyone recognise this analogy that's doing the rounds on Facebook today? I quite liked it and wondered if anyone knew which wise woman it came from?

A psychologist walked around a room while teaching stress management to an audience. As she raised a glass of water, everyone expected they'd be asked the "half empty or half full" question. Instead, with a smile on her face, she inquired: "How heavy is this glass of water?"

Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz.

She replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long I hold it. If I hold it for a minute, it's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my arm. If I hold it for a day, my arm will feel numb and paralyzed. In each case, the weight of the glass doesn't change, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes." She continued, "The stresses and worries in life are like that glass of water. Think about them for a while and nothing happens. Think about them a bit longer and they begin to hurt. And if you think about them all day long, you will feel paralyzed – incapable of doing anything."

It’s important to remember to let go of your stresses. As early in the evening as you can, put all your burdens down. Don't carry them through the evening and into the night. Remember to put the glass down!
jennyfrecks

Want to advertise with us? You or your business could fill this space. Email clinpsyforum@gmail.com for information.

Re: Stress - glass of water analogy

Postby Borrowed Cone » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:54 pm

Love it
"We can rebuild him. We have the technology. But I don't want to spend a lot of money..."
Borrowed Cone
Team Member

Postby eponymous85 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:49 am

Have used this before as an analogy for carers who feel guilty having a break. If you don't put it down once in a while, how can you keep holding it?
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.
eponymous85

Postby Shell » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:26 pm

i heard this for the first time the other day.... I think it is a great analogy.

thank you for reminding me of it! :)
Shell

Postby pinkaliengoo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:54 pm

That's fantastic :)
pinkaliengoo

Postby AnonymousMouse » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:04 pm

This is a fantastic analogy - thanks for sharing!

The Mouse
AnonymousMouse

Postby greendog » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Fab analogy. I've never heard it but I will def use it in the future!
greendog

Postby astra » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:08 pm

I like it.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn
astra

Return to Miscellaneous: Related to Psychology