Personal Independence Payments

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
Randomswirls
Team Member

Personal Independence Payments

Post by Randomswirls » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:33 pm

Hello

In October I am talking at a conference on Personal Independence Payments (P.I.P), this is the benefit that is replacing Disability Living Allowance. I’m very au fait with the benefit however, I am less au fait with the role of a Psychologist in all it’s varying guises!

I was just wondering therefore if I could quickly pick your brains and ask if you were to attend my talk is there anything you would particularly want covered that would be relevant to you current job role?

Any responses would be brilliant so that I can try and make the talk as interesting and as relevant as possible thank you in advance!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
laurenr

Re: Personal Independence Payments

Post by laurenr » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:16 am

I'd be interested in knowing what you are "allowed" to buy with it. I've been working with someone who wants to buy extra support for during lunch break, and has been apparently told by their social worker that they aren't allowed to buy this with their payment. Simiarly, I met someone who had been on a Psychology waiting list for a long time and had wanted to pay for a private therapist with their PIP but again had been told they weren't allowed to. It's difficult to answer their questions on why they can't spend their personal budget on things they want, and I was wondering if it was a misunderstanding on their behalves or if it was true.

kathryn

Post by kathryn » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:38 am

I'd be interested in how respond to requests for supporting evidence / how to write supporting letters for when funding is being challenged...what sorts of things are helpful/unhelpful to contribute.

astra

Post by astra » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:46 pm

PIP is a benefit that is paid to an individual to spend as they wish. No-one can tell you how to spend it unless you don't have capacity to manage your own money. I currently get DLA and will at some point be reassessed for PIP. It is not the same as a Personal Budget for social care, I'm not sure what the rules are for that.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:07 pm

Whilst I have the right people to give some advice:

Someone I know has a son with significant learning disability and some physical disability. His placement within special education is being extended post-18 but the local authority is refusing to provide transport and he has lost the appeal. What next steps are available? Can PIP or personal budgets be used for this? Otherwise the parent will no longer be able to work, even though the bus from the school will continue to pass the end of their street!
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:23 pm

Thank you as Astra says PIP is a non means tested benefit paid by the DWP and can be spent on whatever the individual wants including things like therapy.

Personal budgets are allocated through social services and I am much less knowledgeable about this but I gather the money is allocated to the individual for a certain need so I think that is what restricts what they can spend the money on.

Maven PIP is for the additional costs of having a disability so it could be therapy or transport to work but I would be surprised if he has a significant learning disability and so on if his family aren't already claiming this? Personal budgets may well be worthwhile considering but as I say I don't know a huge amount about this.

This Rethink factsheet is fab and Kathryn it gives a sample letter at the back - https://www.rethink.org/resources/p/per ... ayment-pip

laurenr

Post by laurenr » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:53 am

Randomswirls wrote:Thank you as Astra says PIP is a non means tested benefit paid by the DWP and can be spent on whatever the individual wants including things like therapy.

Personal budgets are allocated through social services and I am much less knowledgeable about this but I gather the money is allocated to the individual for a certain need so I think that is what restricts what they can spend the money on.

Maven PIP is for the additional costs of having a disability so it could be therapy or transport to work but I would be surprised if he has a significant learning disability and so on if his family aren't already claiming this? Personal budgets may well be worthwhile considering but as I say I don't know a huge amount about this.

This Rethink factsheet is fab and Kathryn it gives a sample letter at the back - https://www.rethink.org/resources/p/per ... ayment-pip
Thank you for clairfying. Maybe the most confusing thing for me is learning the difference!