Career Changes WITHIN Psychology?

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
LaLaLand

Career Changes WITHIN Psychology?

Post by LaLaLand » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:47 am

Hello!

I am just writing because I wanted to know whether people believe that you can change areas of interest throughout your career as a Psychologist, and whether any one has experience of doing so?

My general areas of interest have been complex mental health (inpatient work) and forensic (having worked in a prison). However, I have recently been offered a job to be the Clinical Psychologist at a school. The role appears to be very flexible, in that I can be creative and do what I want with it...I have ideas about running workshops for classes, group interventions, as well as some creative organisation and cultural interventions around preventative work. I am quite excited at the prospect of this freedom, however I am concerned that if I have this at the top of my CV it will be difficult to move back into more complex work at the severe end of distress in the future - I don't want to shut that door. I will always have my previous experience (although most of it has been during training and previous AP posts) that I can draw upon in interviews and applications, but obviously it will move down the CV from the top of the list. I do have a possible option of doing the school job 4 days a week and doing some contract work for a charity doing individual work with people with a diagnosis of psychosis one day a week, which would hopefully keep up that skill set.

Ultimately, Is it possible to shift between areas of interest, or do people generally cultivate an area of practice within which they stay? Life is long and I like the idea of doing different types of work, but I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot by shutting down an area of practice that has always been my passion. On top of that, being a woman adds complication, as I may be looking to start a family in a few years.... so I am concerned that what I do now will be the role I subsequently take MAT leave from.. then before I know it a few years have passed, I've been out of work on Mat leave and then it's even harder to move back into another area of work afterwards.

What are people's experiences and / or thoughts on this? I'm in a dilemma as to what to do.

BlueCat
Site Admin

Re: Career Changes WITHIN Psychology?

Post by BlueCat » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:33 pm

I think it is easy to do at lower bandings, but would be very difficult at higher bandings, where experience of that specialty is required. So I would imagine you could hop around band 7 posts easily enough, band 8a with more difficulty, and 8b upwards almost impossible.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

LaLaLand

Re: Career Changes WITHIN Psychology?

Post by LaLaLand » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:57 pm

Thank you, that’s really helpful. I qualified last year (2016) so I imagine I will be sitting at band 7 for a bit. However, just to complicate it.. I’m actually now based in Australia, so these two posts aren’t banded in the same way. However, being relatively new qualified at the moment I assume that sits me within the category of being able to move around a little..and being able to take the school job, before moving back into Forensics :|