5 things I'm thinking today. . .

For anything not related to psychology

Re: 5 things I'm thinking today. . .

Postby workingmama » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:27 pm

A very happy Christmas everyone, whether it's your particular bag or otherwise, and a peaceful 2017 for all.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fail, fail again, fail better.
workingmama
Team Member

Postby astra » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:00 pm

1. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to Everyone. Even if you don't "do" Christmas, it's still a time when pretty much the entire country stops and that gives you an opportunity to spend some time with friends or family and do nice stuff.
2. Enjoying the freedom to just close for Christmas without having to ask anyone for annual leave, or debate who worked Christmas last year.
3. Slightly annoyed that despite my out of office reply going out since Monday, one company has sent me 2 referrals that they needed booking in within 24 hours (booking not seeing!) I've done that and booked them for mid Jan, but it makes me wonder if I'll ever be able to really be on holiday until I can afford to employ an admin.
4. Enjoying a quiet week getting ready for Christmas.
5. Feeling Christmassy!
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn
astra

Postby ell » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:39 pm

1) Echoing the good wishes to everyone.
2) But I really really don't like Christmas. Or New Year. Just want January to roll around, when I have things happening that I will actually enjoy.
3) I might actually have presents more or less sorted.
4) Wish more shops did vegan mince pies.
5) I do like mince pies. My favourite part of Christmas perhaps. And I am so thankful that I can enjoy them at the moment. In fact, I have a lot to be thankful for.
ell

Postby nomnom » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:45 pm

1. Happy holidays to one and all.

2. I am homeeeeeee! No better feeling :D It felt like I had been on countdown for months on end. I think that had something to do with the chaos in Leeds and I was just holding tight until I could get away. Gotten away I have now and I am making the most of it.

3. My bubble does burst with the thought that I have endless amount of university stuff to be getting on with - essays, reflections, readings etc etc but I am aiming to make a slow start this week and then full speed ahead from Jan to May!

4. The talks have begun...I wish I could say more. But honestly, it is too complicated. My life feels like a tv series, on season 6 and the script is just being written for entertainment purposes only. I should probably have a disclaimer 'do not try this at home'...

5. Anyway, my motto continues - just keep swimming and don't forget to breathe!
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'
nomnom

Postby lingua_franca » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:03 am

1.) I had a low-key but lovely Christmas. I didn't have much money to spend on presents for people this year (bank work at the hospital dried up and I have a three-month gap between one job ending and the new one starting) but this just challenged me to be extra creative and thoughtful, and it was fun.
2.) I feel really close to my mum lately. We've always got on well, but now we're at the point where I almost wouldn't mind borrowing her clothes. I hope this means her fashion sense is getting better rather than mine getting worse.
3.) Today I crossed paths with the parent of an old school classmate, a parent who used to be incredibly patronising to all of us kids in the special needs unit and whose poor son basically had no life because of all the quack 'alternative' therapies she was subjecting him to outside school hours. The stunned silence that happened when she found out I now have a PhD was highly satisfactory.
4.) I'm sitting in my room raising a pre-bedtime glass to all disabled former-kids, now-adults who have kicked some serious posterior in order to be where they are today.
5.) An overseas trip to see a friend is coming up. I'm very excited.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.
lingua_franca

Postby firegal » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:59 pm

1. Really panicking about going back to placement tomorrow. I've been able to cope with the time running up to xmas as easing myself in and getting to know my case load. I feel an immense amount of pressure (self inflicted) that tomorrow I need to start actually "doing psychology" and it terrifies me.

2. That being the case I should spend today preparing myself and doing helpful reading. But I suddenly find myself not knowing where to begin.

3. Don't know whether I'll even get to see a supervisor tomorrow, let alone talk about this stuff.

4. Struggling to keep this contained in the context of general "first year is tough - everyone feels anxious, you'll find your feet eventually" rather than the full blown catastrophe of "I can't cope! I'm not cut out to be a CP!"

5. It's been ages since I've posted on the forum and I wish I was saying something a bit more positive.
firegal

Postby Loula » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:07 pm

Firegal- speak to your supervisor, but all the above is normal (including not doing the prep you planned to). You have three years to meet your competencies, you don't have to know everything by the end of your first placement.
Loula

Postby firegal » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:12 am

Loula wrote:Firegal- speak to your supervisor, but all the above is normal (including not doing the prep you planned to). You have three years to meet your competencies, you don't have to know everything by the end of your first placement.

Thanks Loula. As is often the case, once I'd got that off my chest I was able to start some slightly more useful prep and got a decent amount of reading done on emotional literacy/intelligence. Though I'm still yet to find a good standardised measure for assessing just basic "how well does this person recognise emotions?", going to have to get creative and print off some faces methinks!

(and of course typing that out I realise it's because I'm overcomplicating things and searching terms like emotional literacy and emotional intelligence rather than just emotion recognition task :roll: )
firegal

Postby astra » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:16 pm

1. Hmm Anyone seen my 2 o'clock? I've come in specially as I couldn't fit him in any other day and he's not turned up :evil:
2. I have a big birthday in a few weeks and have booked a long weekend in Budapest with husband and child - it's likely to be very cold and quite snowy, but we are staying in a lovely looking hotel on the river Danube 8) Literally on the river, on an island in the middle of the river!!!
3. Must get report written and invoiced for from yesterday as that is basically paying for the birthday holiday!
4. Haven't brought said report in to the office as I was working on it at home this morning and only came in to see my elusive 2pm - darn it, I could have spent this time on it.
5. Had a surge of new referrals before Christmas and was a bit worried I might drown in them, but a few people are ending so it will all balance out now - phew!
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn
astra

Postby astra » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:13 pm

1. OK so I'm now on my 3rd DNA of the week. I'm starting to take it personally now.
2. Might as well go home and prepare for parent's evening at school.
3. Cross with Michael Gove for changing GCSE's in such a way that my daughter who has complex speech and language difficulties, dyslexia and dyscalculia is highly unlikely to achieve any qualifications this year. Long conversation with Maths teacher on the phone yesterday to pre-emt having the conversation during parents' evening in front of the child tonight. Basically under the pre-Gove exam system my child would have probably scraped a G or F in maths, but because of the complexity of the way maths questions are now worded, she cannot understand what they are asking her to do, even if she can do the relevant bit of maths to get the answer. She got a U in her mock and cried for the entire maths lesson. That's sure going to raise standards and not going to contribute at all to the mental health crisis in young people - as I said "Thanks Mr Gove"! :twisted:
4. So, when I say "prepare" for parents' evening, I mean psych myself up for a tough evening of hearing how she's a very bright child but...
5. Oh someone else can use my 5th thought, I haven't got one, my 3rd thought took all my energy :roll:
astra

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous: Off-topic