5 things I'm thinking today. . .

For anything not related to psychology

Re: 5 things I'm thinking today. . .

Postby lingua_franca » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:40 am

1.) I'm one week into my postdoc exactly and I've loved every minute of it so far. Really nice colleagues, exciting project to work on, and the thrill of having a door with 'Dr Lingua Franca' on it. And the door goes somewhere too. An office. For me. :shock: No more arm-wrestling for space in the euphemistically named 'PhD suite'.
2.) Having an office is inspiring me to read more, if only because I feel lazy and ungrateful when this great huge floor-to-ceiling bookcase is bare.
3.) Food has been a bit of a let-down round here. I went out for dinner with a friend last week and half the sweet potato chunks in my curry were raw, and tonight I ordered a takeaway from a different place and it was lukewarm and soggy and generally disgusting. There has to be one nice place in the area for Sunday night treats.
4.) A friend is crowdfunding to help her finish her degree and it's making me feel a bit uncomfortable. I promised to help her out on a generous impulse, as she's facing genuinely tough circumstances, but having slept on it I can see that there are changes she could make to her circumstances that don't involve asking the Internet for money and that she seems unwilling to make. Her crowdfunding page also comes across as quite grandiose - she's outlining all the things she'll do once she has her degree. I know it's to try and show people she's a good investment, but it just makes her look up herself and me feel concerned that she isn't realistic about life. Not realistic enough to get financial support from me, at any rate.
5.) I meant to put the laundry on today, but I forgot, and now I've run out of clean knickers. Damn.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.
lingua_franca

Postby Bobgirl » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:06 pm

MindfulPsych wrote:
Bobgirl wrote:
(update: Vet news was not good for our doggy. He's only 2 but his life expectancy doesn't look great now. :cry: :cry: :cry: )

Oh Bobgirl :( I'm really sorry to hear about your dog, I hope you're getting all the support you need right now and you have lots of cuddles with him/her. Sending lovely wishes to you xx
Geishawife wrote:
Bobgirl wrote:(update: Vet news was not good for our doggy. He's only 2 but his life expectancy doesn't look great now. )

So sorry to hear this. Our pets are so much part of our family, aren't they? It's heart-wrenching when they are unwell. I hope you can enjoy every second you do have with him and take comfort in knowing how loved he is. Love and hugs to all of you.

Thanks very much MindfulPsych and Geishawife. Yes he is getting so many cuddles right now, but he always does so he's not noticed any difference haha. It's been hard for us all knowing he probably won't be here next Christmas but we are loving every minute we have with him right now. He is so spoiled and loved by the whole family!
Bobgirl

Postby SheRa » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:04 pm

1.I should feel happy
2. I've been prepared for bad news for so long that all I feel is shock and an urge to give up, jack it all and go and get a job in a book shop
3. Can I believe them this time
4. I hope to never cross paths with them again
5. I will try and take the high road
By the Power of Grey Skull!
SheRa

Postby BenJMan » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:16 am

1. Final documents signed off for my new apartment in the city centre, it's going to be a huge change from living in the countryside all my life!
2. Sad to think that feeling so excited about a new phase in my life also means saying goodbye to my first home that I bought 5 years ago. Also to living very near my parents, though they will still hardly be far away.
3. Going to miss walking down the road to see my family and particularly family dogs!!
4. Plus side, no more 1-1.5 hour commute to work and much closer to my social circle
5. SO MUCH TO ORGANISE IN 8 DAYS
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.
BenJMan

Postby MindfulPsych » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:07 am

1. I absolutely love 'The secret life of 5 year olds' it's so interesting how the children perceive each other and themselves. Especially when asked about science and one of the girls expresses that she extracted the DNA of a banana once!

2. Car has been checked over and I finally feel relieved.

3. I really need to start my reflective essay...

4-5 Why am I constantly thinking about food? Perhaps it's because i'm trying to be healthier and not eat so much rubbish!
MindfulPsych

Postby reishi » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:36 pm

1) I survived my very first interview :bom:

2) Starting my very first uk placement

3) Going to Paris for the first time

4) I rode a First bus today for the first time :lol:

5) I did something else for the first time today but didn't like it at all and still feeling guilty so not gonna write :oops:
"Ever since psychoanalysis came up, everybody's ill more or less."
reishi

Postby miriam » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:28 am

1. My sleep is all out of sync at the moment. I can partly blame being off sick and intermittent earache, but the rest is just my tendency to be a night owl. I like to use the quiet time after everyone else is asleep to catch up on emails, if I don't have to be up early in the morning. But being up typing this at 4am is still stupid, whatever way I justify it.
2. Because of having time off sick, I am very behind on my email, and have a to do list as long as my arm. It feels a bit overwhelming and I have to resist the urge to just close my computer and avoid it, because other people are relying on my input on various things. But secretly, what I really want is a holiday!
3. It feels like a lot of change is ahead. We've just given notice to move offices, I've been offered a temporary consulting position and there are going to be some staff changes in the next couple of months as temporary contracts end, and one member of staff moves on. I also need to rearrange a lot of financial things like my mortgage, apply for some kind of environment management advice/funding, and I'm applying for planning permission to radically change my home.
4. I'm having to take action against a CP who has broken a contract they had with me, as this has had financial and practical repercussions for us, as well as a negative impact on colleagues and service users. It feels uncomfortable and disappointing to be put in this position by a peer.
5. Meanwhile there are many little nice things happening - the snowdrops around the house look amazing, I love having a real log fire, and my kids did their first brass concert today. It was great to hear the raucous individual toots turn into music when all 60 children in the brass project played at once, and to see the progress made by the older children, who have been learning for a year longer than my two (who only started in September). They also sang some great rounds to learn about how each part of a band or orchestra plays a different part at the same time.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
miriam
Site Admin

Postby Randomswirls » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:11 pm

1 - I am really tired

2 - I am feeling a bit defeated by Lancaster test prep! I have done the verbal reasoning but I am scoring sooooo low on the numerical reasoning and whilst I understand the concepts I am only able to get through a few questions in the time period allowed. I know that I have extra time and a few days but having spent all afternoon on it to do worse this time around is a tad bad!

3 - I am beyond tired

4 - As much as I am enjoying my new job why does tomorrow have to be Monday!

5 - I just had yummy noodles!
Randomswirls

Postby bluegoat » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:31 pm

1. I have never procrastinated so much in my entire life
2. I need to book an appointment with the podiatrist but I'm in denial
3. I need to find a new hobby.
4. I bing watched all the episodes of The Fall, in the space of 3 days.
5. I promised myself I am going to spend less time cleaning and more time doing things I like. So I am going to find a cleaner this week. I have never had a cleaner!
bluegoat

Postby nicolaannolive » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:23 pm

1)Verbal reasoning test went okay today
2)Dreading doing the numerical reasoning test
3)Should have practiced more
4)It's been a tough couple of months, be kind to yourself for not practicing sooner
5) Oh damn, I'm procrastinating again :D
nicolaannolive

Postby MindfulPsych » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:13 pm

1. Absolutely exhausted... cannot seem to shake off this tiredness :(
2. Very pleased to have some time for myself over the next week, very needed.
3. Saw the trees covered with blossom this evening on my way home.. spring is on it's way!
4. The relief that spring is on it's way is keeping me going
5. Just so relieved.
MindfulPsych

Postby ksinger » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:42 pm

1. How can I be halfway through training already? Simultaneously feel as clueless as ever and that I've learned loads.

2. The course is tough but I'm relishing the challenge. Happy to be as in love with CP as ever. :oops:

3. My dog has a date tonight - to find a Borrow my Doggy pal... the internet is a wondrous place.

4. I still lurk in this forum in order to let friends who are awaiting answers know when interviews etc come out.

5. What is love? Baby don't hurt me...don't hurt me, no more. No matter where you are, what you're doing, or who you're with, life goes on :lol:
ksinger

Postby lingua_franca » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:17 am

1.) Book proposal submitted to a publisher. :D This has been a productive night.
2.) I will not start worrying that my sample chapter wasn't polished enough. Nor will I compulsively check my emails for replies.
3.) ...although I will allow myself to hope that their response time is swifter than the last journal I published with, which took nearly two years to let me know my article was accepted.
4.) I hope my proposed research participants in Lebanon get back to me soon and I hope it's a yes.
5.) I'm really enjoying my Kinyarwanda lessons. I never thought I'd be good at a tonal language, as I struggle to carry a tune in a bucket, but I'm not doing too badly.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.
lingua_franca

Postby Randomswirls » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:26 pm

1. Last week was an emotional rollercoaster. After my initial no's I couldn't believe I would get any yeses so started wondering what to do with my life and if Clinical Psychology was for me, planning holidays and so on I ultimately ended up with an interview!

2. I have to say the thought of prepping for an interview is a tad daunting. Another two months of this feels like a very long time.

3. I have had a lovely weekend though the words "no" and "I want" in a toddler are fe
Randomswirls

Postby Randomswirls » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:33 pm

Posted to soon!

3 continued words like "no" and "I want" should be banned from toddlers vocabulary!

4. The weekend was much needed and it was lovely catching up with my friends and not doing much beyond chatting and watching Beauty and the Beast!

5. Friday I had a lovely bonding supervision with my team and we all supported and encouraged each other. It was definitely revitalising and made me realise we all have similar feelings of inadequacy, which are probably unfounded! As a result I am looking forward to a week at work with no email checking or wondering if today is going to be the day i or a colleague hears back from a course!
Randomswirls

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous: Off-topic