5 things I'm thinking today. . .

For anything not related to psychology

Re: 5 things I'm thinking today. . .

Postby Randomswirls » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:33 pm

Posted to soon!

3 continued words like "no" and "I want" should be banned from toddlers vocabulary!

4. The weekend was much needed and it was lovely catching up with my friends and not doing much beyond chatting and watching Beauty and the Beast!

5. Friday I had a lovely bonding supervision with my team and we all supported and encouraged each other. It was definitely revitalising and made me realise we all have similar feelings of inadequacy, which are probably unfounded! As a result I am looking forward to a week at work with no email checking or wondering if today is going to be the day i or a colleague hears back from a course!
Randomswirls

Postby firegal » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:22 am

1. I can't do this
2. I have no idea what I am doing
3. I've always had issues when I'm in clinical posts, why did I think clinical training would be any different?
4. Nope, it's not just clinical posts, I spent plenty of my time as an RA miserable and anxious too, but I just attributed it to different things.
5. Why can't I make this work?

[/first year slump]
firegal

Postby Bobgirl » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:06 pm

firegal wrote:1. I can't do this
2. I have no idea what I am doing
3. I've always had issues when I'm in clinical posts, why did I think clinical training would be any different?
4. Nope, it's not just clinical posts, I spent plenty of my time as an RA miserable and anxious too, but I just attributed it to different things.
5. Why can't I make this work?

[/first year slump]

Hi Firegal. I wanted to reply to you because I think what you are feeling is part of being a first year. I am in second year, and I know that probably all of my class went through this during first year, the whole "imposter syndrome", feeling like maybe you are not good enough, and don't actually have a clue what you are doing. I think we all still feel like that at times, that we have no idea what we are doing, it is part of training!! but it became particularly prominent half way through first year. Our course gave us space to be able to bring it out into the open, and talk about it. It normalised it and made us realise that everyone was feeling the same. I hope you also have the space to do this, but I just wanted to reply so that you wouldn't think you were on your own with it xx :D
Bobgirl

Postby firegal » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:52 pm

Bobgirl wrote:Hi Firegal. I wanted to reply to you because I think what you are feeling is part of being a first year. I am in second year, and I know that probably all of my class went through this during first year, the whole "imposter syndrome", feeling like maybe you are not good enough, and don't actually have a clue what you are doing. I think we all still feel like that at times, that we have no idea what we are doing, it is part of training!! but it became particularly prominent half way through first year. Our course gave us space to be able to bring it out into the open, and talk about it. It normalised it and made us realise that everyone was feeling the same. I hope you also have the space to do this, but I just wanted to reply so that you wouldn't think you were on your own with it xx :D

Thanks Bobgirl. We do have space and the course so far has been very supportive. I love my appraisal tutor and he's been great in trying to make sure things are going well on placement, I just really need to work on being honest about it when I'm struggling, finding it very difficult to let down the "it's ok, I'm totally coping with this!" face.
We have regular reflective practice groups and lucky for me that's happening on Friday so I think I need to make sure I make good use of it.
firegal

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous: Off-topic