Selling photographs

For anything not related to psychology

Selling photographs

Postby Misfit » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:56 am

Hi,

I enjoy taking photographs of various things, including sunsets, landmarks, flowers, nature, food/drink, things I find amusing, like signs. I was wondering how I may go about selling photographs I take. I guess you could say I have a few which could be seen as "good" photo's that people may enjoy viewing and would be keen to see if I can go forward with this as something more than a hobby, and a way to increase my income, alongside a fulltime job (shift-work) Does anyone have any ideas please (websites/reputable companies to get in touch with)?

Any help would be appreciated.

x
Misfit

Re: Selling photographs

Postby BenJMan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:24 pm

I've known a fair few artists start on sites like Etsy to begin selling and get a sense of the interest of others. I quite like browsing it for people new to art and selling art :)
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.
BenJMan

Postby astra » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:13 am

My brother does wood turning in his spare time and has an etsy site for selling items. He gets invited to craft fairs on the back of this and has been commissioned to make items for restaurants and hotels occasionally.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn
astra

Postby miriam » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:35 pm

There are online guides to selling photos. But broadly there are three ways of doing this:

1) Make a simple e-commerce enabled website using a standard template/provider and show your photos there, promoting it to your friends and family, giving each photograph a reasonably high price, and offering electronic and print options (eg £10 download or £25 print).
2) Upload your photos to stock photo sites to sell. The aim there is to have loads of images up and sell them many times at very low prices (eg having 800 images uploaded and getting 40p per use).
3) If you are exceptionally talented, you can sell them via a gallery or agency, to customers for the best prices of all. For example, displaying framed images in a coffee shop for sale, or in a gallery. Of, if you have highly topical or niche photos, even selling them via an agency to the press.

But bear in mind that loads of people take photos, and loads of people will be looking at these same options. Even my dad, who is a FRPS and highly skilled portrait photographer has never found a way to even make this cover his costs.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
miriam
Site Admin

Postby Misfit » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:18 am

Thank you for your responses everyone! :) x
Misfit

Return to Miscellaneous: Off-topic