5 things I'm thinking today. . .

For anything not related to psychology

Re: 5 things I'm thinking today. . .

Postby hs577 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:42 pm

Thanks ell I've just done a doctorate but my dream research job has come up and part of that involves doing a PhD but there could be the potential to make that component optional

1. Impressed the cat's detachable collar with a bell on is still around his neck. Hopefully this will help the local mouse and bird population

2. You really don't know what you have until you have a good tidy out - six bin bags and counting to charity so far

3. I'm exhausted from 2.

4. can I face cleaning out the study now?

5. Can't wait to get started using my new chargeable vacum after the clear out
hs577

Postby workingmama » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:03 pm

1. At times I bite off far more than I can comfortably chew. This is certainly one of those times.
2. My self-imposed workload is nuts.
3. Working spouse is super cranky at my current career plans.
4. I love my 'Hungry Caterpillar' oilcloth tablecloth.
5. I really wish I ironed more work clothes at the weekend.
Fail, fail again, fail better.
workingmama
Team Member

Postby firegal » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:24 pm

1. My mood is all over the place these last few weeks!
2. Self care got thrown out of the pram in favour of self destruction for a few days, but getting that back on track now
3. My friends are a lot more understanding than I give them credit for
4. Possibly should have taken some time off, but positive reflection is that even with all that going on, I have been managing myself on placement pretty well, it wasn't pleasant, but it was doable.
5. Fell down a youtube rabbit hole last night and came across Kate Tempest performing "Hold Your Own", one verse of it felt very appropriate and very ACT to me. I think I'm going to ask my artist friend to turn it into a visual piece I can hang on my wall:
Every pain,
Every grievance,
Every single stab of shame,
Every day spent with a demon in your brain giving chase,
Hold it.

Know the wolves that hunt you,
In time, they will be the dogs that bring your slippers.
Love them right and you will feel them kiss you when they come to bite.
Their hot snouts digging out your cuddles with their bloody muzzles.
Hold.
firegal

Postby nomnom » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:45 pm

1. I am exhausted.

2. I want to hold on but I'm losing my peace of mind.

3. End of course next year can't come quick enough.

4. I want to start reading again. I miss it. Any recommendations?

5. Tomorrow is another day.
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'
nomnom

Postby MarkM » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:14 pm

nomnom wrote:4. I want to start reading again. I miss it. Any recommendations?

Hmm - what kind of books do you like? I recently started commuting by train again and I kinda love it, because I can read so much more now <3 -weird-

2-5. Was that a thought? Is this? I guess. I think(!)
:cat: I like cats! :cat:
MarkM

Postby benbrand » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:20 am

butterflyfingers wrote:3. Found out I gained a place on an MSc which I'll hopefully be doing alongside working full-time. It'll be difficult but worth it.

Well done! I'll be embarking on an MSc and working full time too. You going to be doing your course PT then?

I'm unsure! I'm doing the distance learning MSc in Mental Health and Psychological Therapies with QMUL. I've been told the most stressful part is managing the first 2 semesters, which PT students complete at the same pace as full-time. The 2nd year is spent doing the dissertation. I'm hoping I can complete in a year :/
benbrand

Postby sweetpea » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:30 pm

1. Handed in my notice today! 2 weeks at work + 2 weeks A/L = all done. :shock:
2. Looking forward to (and feeling luck for) my month's break prior to training.
3. I'm finding it easier to see positives in amongst the difficulties of the last year - and feeling grateful for this.
4. Now is the time to really crack on in working on my confidence. If not now, when?
5. 2 weeeeeeeeks! :lol: :D
sweetpea

Postby jlb36 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:25 pm

sweetpea wrote:1. Handed in my notice today! 2 weeks at work + 2 weeks A/L = all done. :shock:
2. Looking forward to (and feeling luck for) my month's break prior to training.
3. I'm finding it easier to see positives in amongst the difficulties of the last year - and feeling grateful for this.
4. Now is the time to really crack on in working on my confidence. If not now, when?
5. 2 weeeeeeeeks! :lol: :D

I am in a very similar situation to you Sweetpea! I only have 3 weeks left at work before having just a month off before the course starts, hope that you have a brilliant break! All the advice I've had was to make the most of it and really enjoy it (and not worry about preparing for training etc) - fingers crossed for a late summer weather wise!
jlb36

Postby sweetpea » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:31 pm

^ Sounds like we've had similar advice, jlb36! Best of luck with your remaining time at work, and likewise, enjoy your well-deserved break when the time comes! :D
sweetpea

Postby firegal » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:32 pm

Well done to sweetpea and jlb, and absolutely echo the advice about taking a break. I took a month off before starting training and 2 weeks of that was spent backpacking round Japan: best decision I ever made!!!
firegal

Postby Loula » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:18 pm

1. It's been a while since I posted on here- think I've had an absence of thoughts!
2. Life with a 2 month old is tough, wonderful but tough
3. Seems bizarre to be thinking about keeping in touch days, childcare and working patterns already
4. I'm pretty sure my brain is mush
5. Sleep...
Loula

Postby MindfulPsych » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:58 am

1. So much love for the NHS and all the workers including the doctors, nurses, student nurses, Healthcare Assistants, Paramedics, Porters, Sonographers and everyone really. Without them, I don't think i'd be here right now.

2. Been offered an MSc... Debating whether to take it or wait until the following academic year :D

3. Feel like i'm getting somewhere on my journey to becoming a clinical psychologist

4. Mindful painting really is fantastic!

5. I have an unhealthy obsession with cereal :oops:
MindfulPsych

Postby workingmama » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:00 pm

1. I have an interview for the post of my dreams in three weeks. Higher band, and permanent, and my exact aimed-for area.
2-5. Gulp.
Fail, fail again, fail better.
workingmama
Team Member

Postby lingua_franca » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:57 am

Good luck, workingmama!!! I'm keeping everything crossed for you in yogic contortions.

1.) Why is life so short? I want to learn to read skaldic poetry in the original Old Norse/Old Icelandic, learn to play the transposed Mystery Sonatas on cello, write more books, be a health professional, and learn some new (modern) languages.
2.) I need better time management.
3.) I need to focus on my actual job.
4.) Yes, job. I will do some writing for it today. But before that I need cake.
5.) I am never going to be one of these organised, non-procrastinating people, am I? I might as well face facts.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.
lingua_franca

Postby AryaStark » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:18 pm

I hope it went well workingmama!

1) I'm really enjoying my new role and feel like it has tested my organisation abilities and made me slightly more confident that, yes, I can do this (I hope!)
2) Procrastinating writing a draft for my first ever application for the doctorate.
3) Trying not to feel anxious about the above application :roll:
4) I really want a cat. Since I have moved the house doesn't feel like a home without a pet. The thought of the sofas being torn up is stopping me from going to adopt one right now (but only just!)
5) I'm grateful for the friends around me who I know are going to be very supportive during this process when it all kicks off :) .
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
-Max Ehrmann,"Desiderata"
AryaStark

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous: Off-topic