Approved and Responsible Clinicians?

This section is for questions relating to therapy, assessment, formulation and other aspects of working with people in mental health services.

Approved and Responsible Clinicians?

Postby sparkling » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:10 pm

Hi everyone

I was wondering if someone could help shed some light on the reality of the roles of ACs and RCs in terms of CPs? Do CPs actually get these roles day to day and if so how is it impacting on their workload? I'm afraid I don't know much about the roles and am curious to find out how the change in law has really affected CPs today.

Many thanks!
sparkling

Re: Approved and Responsible Clinicians?

Postby lakeland » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 am

Hello,

I know a little bit about this. The uptake nationally hasn't been great - my experience is that it's because there is still quite a bit of resistance from medical colleagues about non-medics taking these roles. There's also a real problem with payment - some Trusts have negotiated extra sessional payments for AC / RC duties but others haven't been able to do this. I think the extra responsibility without the extra pay will put people off.

My feeling is that it's a good thing for CPs to be able to do, and is an extra skill set to draw upon and bargain with when posts are under threat - however the counter to that is that there may then be an expectation for consultant CPs to do RC duties on top of their day job. I think a lot of people may rightly have objections to this becoming a part of the role they haven't opted for.

Hope this helps.
lakeland

Postby nettyb » Tue May 02, 2017 8:54 pm

My trust are very keen for CP's to train as AC/RC, they are considering making it part of contracted work for all inpatient adult MH psychologists. They have even begun to trial the AC/RC role in Community Teams as well, with the intention being that CP's will manage the care of those on CTO's. There seems to be some excitement amongst the senior medics in our trust as CPs with AC/RC responsibilities are considered to be cheaper alternatives to consultant psychiatrists. The remuneration for those who have achieved AC/RC is currently set at band 8c, although a neighbouring trust recently advertised for a psychologist AC/RC at band 8d.

My friend and psychologist colleague is an RC on our local inpatient ward. Her stress levels are significant, and to be honest the stories she tells me put me off doing the role myself. I am sure that the clients who have a psychology led inpatient admission do benefit from having a much more psychologically informed purposeful admission to hospital, however I see that being responsible for assessing risk, allowing leave, rescinding sections etc is very stressful and I'm not sure that it's worth it. I've observed that the RC role takes up much of my friend's time, which means that she has much less time for what she used to do as the ward psychologist. Those of course are just my observations, others may have a more positive view.
nettyb

Postby Loula » Wed May 03, 2017 9:18 am

That's really interesting nettyb. The only CPs I know who have done or been offered the training are already 8cs or 8ds so it's difficult to know why they would take on the added responsibility. I'd also be interested in what support CPs get within the role- my experience of inpatient wards is that RCs are often heavily supported by junior doctors (my ward has a SHO and SPR at the moment) who do a lot in terms of preparing tribunal reports etc. and the cynic in me thinks there would be less support for a CP.
Loula

Return to Clinical Issues