ASC training/reading?

This section is for questions relating to therapy, assessment, formulation and other aspects of working with people in mental health services.

ASC training/reading?

Postby Amina » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:41 am

Hello all!

I am wondering if anyone can recommend any Autism specific books/training which are not too basic and focus on assessment/communication/interventions etc? I have a fair bit of prior (though rusty!) knowledge as I looked at Autism for my undergrad dissertation and have worked in a couple of different settings and received some reasonable introductory training. I am now based in an ASC/SLCN (Autism Spectrum Condition/Speech, Language and Communication Needs) setting with young people and would like to brush up on my knowledge and gain some new insights. I have been reading through several journals to get a feel for recent insights but fancy a good up-to-date book or some decent training to really help me explore current issues in a practical way! All the local training is very basic so I think I need to search UK-wide....

The young people I work with are of course all individuals with their own interests and needs, but in brief all have a primary diagnosis of ASC or SLCN, are accessing (to a greater or lesser extant!) mainstream education, and many are presenting with anxiety/depression as well as issues related to attachment, comorbidity (ADHD etc), engaging with peers and participation in the education system.

Thoughts so far have been the NAS online training (too basic?) or some of their other courses, or maybe the following books?

-Choosing Autism Interventions: A Research-Based Guide (2015 by Bernard Fleming and Elisabeth Hurley)
-Autism from Diagnostic Pathway to Intervention (2015 by Kate Ripley)
-Interventions for Autism: Evidence for Educational and Clinical Practice (2016 by Phil Reed)
-CBT for Children and Adolescents with High-Functioning Autism Spectrum Disorders Hardcover (2013 by Angela Scarpa Susan Williams White Tony Attwood)
-The Homunculi Approach to Social and Emotional Wellbeing: A Flexible CBT Programme for Young People on the Autism Spectrum or with Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties (2013 by Anne Greig, Tommy MacKay)

...............or do you have any other suggestions?! Thank you in advance.
Amina

Re: ASC training/reading?

Postby lingua_franca » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:41 pm

Look up Olga Bogdashina. All the stuff by her that I've read has been good, but I especially and enthusiastically recommend the book Communication Issues in Autism and Asperger Syndrome: Do We Speak the Same Language?. It was published in 2004, but it remains current.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.
lingua_franca

Return to Clinical Issues