Request to change a worker

This section is for questions relating to therapy, assessment, formulation and other aspects of working with people in mental health services.

Request to change a worker

Postby ola » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:07 pm

What would happen at your organisation/department if a client/patient/service user requested to change their worker/psychologist/therapist? Would it be considered? If so, what kind of information would be taken into the account before making a decision?
ola

Re: Request to change a worker

Postby Psyfer » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:21 pm

When I worked as a PWP patients could change their PWP if they wanted to for a range of reasons.
It didn't happen often, but I have known of patients who changed because their PWP looked too young and because they wanted to work with a male/female PWP.
Psyfer

Postby noodle » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:10 pm

I think it would depend on a number of factors including the service/department and whether it would be possible to accommodate a change..some Clinical psychologists are working alone into a service so seeing someone else would not be a possibility. In this case it would be about trying to address the person's concern or signposting to other services if the issue can't be resolved. In other services a change could easily be accommodated if appropriate, although sometimes these kinds of requests might be about the person not being ready to engage/'do the work' so it would be important to think about how to manage this.
noodle

Postby ola » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:30 pm

Thank you for your answers :)
ola

Return to Clinical Issues