How do I become a clinical neuropsychologist?

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
schizometric

Post by schizometric » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:35 pm

Unfortunately I don't have time to synthesise the below currently, but I thought I would bring the latest consultation regarding the future of clinical neuropsychology in the UK to readers' attention, as below:

Consultation on the implementation of the competency framework for training the future UK clinical neuropsychology profession
http://www.bps.org.uk/system/files/imag ... 2012_0.pdf
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

mrchimp

Post by mrchimp » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:25 am

I think the consultation exercise finished in September 2013.

Does any one know when/where the results of the decisions from the consultation are/going to be?
I am very interested to see what changes are due to be implemented.

katz

Re: How do I become a clinical neuropsychologist?

Post by katz » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:19 pm

Just wondering if anyone has managed to get any where with finding out the situation with this? I did some reading a month or so ago but couldn't establish if a plan for the future of the qualification had been established and when any changes may be put into practice? Do we have any spies on the inside?

Borrowed Cone

Post by Borrowed Cone » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:58 pm

UCL have plans for a doctorate in clinical neuropsychology within the next few years however this will not be NHS funded so expect to pay a small fortune each year if you wish to pursue this route!
"We can rebuild him. We have the technology. But I don't want to spend a lot of money..."

lizzabadger

Post by lizzabadger » Sat May 10, 2014 9:50 pm

Hmm... That's interesting about UCL.

I assume that there will be an update in the next DoN newsletter.

lizzabadger

Post by lizzabadger » Wed May 21, 2014 1:37 pm

The DoN have now issued their document on the future of Clinical Neuropsychology training. Hopefully it is available online somewhere.

mrchimp

Post by mrchimp » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:03 am

Am I the only person who is no more enlightened as to the future of CNP provision having read the outcome documents?

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:47 pm

mrchimp wrote:Am I the only person who is no more enlightened as to the future of CNP provision having read the outcome documents?
Nope. I am also confused.

mrchimp

Post by mrchimp » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:34 pm

Alexander wrote:
mrchimp wrote:Am I the only person who is no more enlightened as to the future of CNP provision having read the outcome documents?
Nope. I am also confused.
Glad I'm not the only one. Seems as though a consultation was done, the results analysed and virtually no decisions made (not typical of psychology at all hahaha) - there seemed a vague nod to looking at implementing all routes - although I would see it as professional self immolation if the training was opened up to non-psychologists- the whole point of testing as a psychologist is to be able implement /utilise results in formulation and intervention which is the bread and butter of CP (and some of the other divisions); I'm not sure how other professions would be able to do that without substantial grounding in a very range of models and theories... think the BPS and DoN ought to stand ground on that one IMHO