What the difference between a PhD and the DClinPsy?

Information about qualifications, experience and the typical career path
Ruthie

What the difference between a PhD and the DClinPsy?

Post by Ruthie » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:12 am

A PhD is an academic degree (in any subject) which you earn by carrying out a substantial piece of original research and by writing a thesis which is then examined orally.

The Doctorate in Clinical Psychology is a vocational training program which enables you to register as a Practitioner Psychologist in the category Clinical Psychology with the HCPC, which is necessary to work as a Clinical Psychologist in the UK. It also enables you to register as a Chartered Psychologist with the BPS. Like a PhD, the clinical doctorate also involves a research thesis and an oral examination, but this research is on a much smaller scale than a PhD and constitutes only one part of DClinPsy training, which also involves clinical practice and other academic work. (More information here.)

At the end of both you can call yourself Dr. :D

In the UK a PhD by research in the field of clinical psychology does not enable the individual to practise as a clinical psychologist, only the DClinPsy does this.
mockingbird85 wrote:This will sound like such a stupid question....but what careers can you go into with a PhD instead of a DClinPsy?

The reason I ask is that the more time I spend thinking about career prospects, the more I think the DClinPsy may be wrong for me.....but I am almost certain psychology is where I want my career path to be.
The main area a PhD opens to you is academia and research. Typically people get a postdoc, then a lectureship and so on, although lots of people go into industry after a PhD, and a few people who do PhDs in psychology will go on to do the DClin.

Addition info re: funding
As things currently stand there is also a difference in funding - the majority of places on the DClinPsy are NHS funded positions which will have you employed at a band 6 as a "Trainee Clinical Psychologist", though there are an increasing number of courses offering self funded places.
On a PhD you are more likely to be on a PhD studentship*, which may come from any one of a number of funding bodies, this generally covers your tuition fees and a stipend for living costs, though of course there is also the option for self-funding.

There is often a lot of speculation around as to whether funding for the DClinPsy may change to be more like PhD funding but at the moment no changes have been confirmed.

*There are in fact a few different routes to fund a PhD, but as this wiki is about the differences between PhD and DClinPsy I'm sticking with the most common.

Note: If you have a suggestion about how to improve or add to this wiki please post it here. If you want to discuss this post please post a new thread in the forum. There is information about the structure, rules and copyright of the wiki here.

Content checked by Firegal on 17/04/2018
Last modified on 17/04/18
Last edited by Ruthie on Fri May 18, 2007 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.