Hello: Introduce yourself here!

The guidance for posting on www.ClinPsy.org.uk and any comments on the forum, suggestions for improvements, etc. Also information about our e-magazine, Aspire, and how to contribute or download your copy.

Re: Hello: Introduce yourself here!

Postby baddabing » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:05 pm

stephanievento wrote:Hi everyone!

I've been reading this forum for about a year now, but I've never posted. I'm a 23-year-old American with a BS in Psychology. I studied in London during my undergrad in 2014, and I've been trying to figure out a way to move back to the UK permanently since then. I'm applying for EU dual citizenship, and my plan was to apply to DClinPsy programs and AP positions as a European because it's extremely difficult (though of course not impossible) to get hired or get accepted to a course as an American.

Now that the EU referendum vote has happened I'm not really sure what my plan should be, but I would still like to move to the UK for my clinical doctorate if possible.

I'm currently working as a Research Assistant on some PTSD treatment studies and other clinically-applicable, trauma-related research with veterans. I want to be a clinical psychologist.

I love reading and traveling, my favorite colors are brown and green, and I hate writing self-summaries online :)

Right now, I need a sort of fairy godperson who can give me solid advice about if and when I should move to the UK given the EU ref, but I know that things are too uncertain right now for anyone to have a definitive answer, so I'll probably just keep lurking for a while.

hi Stefanie, you didn't want to work in America?
baddabing

Postby willsingforpopcorn » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:46 am

Hi everyone!

I just joined today and thought I would introduce myself :-)

My name is Heather and I live in Glasgow, Scotland. I have a first class honours degree in Psychology from the University of Dundee, graduated 2015. During my studies I volunteered as a support worker with a Dramatherapy department for two years, working with adolescents in group dramatherapy.
I moved to Glasgow after graduating and I currently work as the support officer for the NHS 24 services Breathing Space and Living Life. They are both phone-based mental health services. My role is to provide administrational support and I also go to events to promote the services, so a lot of contact with people who identify as having mental healh issues.
My job doesn't require a degree and I don't find it very challenging, I thought when I graduated I would at least get an interview for the AP roles I was applying for, as I have a first class psych degree and two years clinical volunteering experience - but no luck. Most weekends I work as a singer in a wedding band, which is a great creative outlet for me :-)

I joined this forum because I am interested in a career in clinical psychology but, knowing how incredibly difficult and competitive it is, I don't think I stand a chance and generally have no idea what to do next!
willsingforpopcorn

Postby Equinesaretherapy » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:35 pm

Hi everybody,

My favourite colour is deep red. My favourite pizza topping is prosciutto with tons of oozy mozzarella. I have three dogs, two horses and a house rabbit (who rules the roost, terrorises the dogs and is the reason I'm on my third laptop power cable).
Equinesaretherapy

Postby maven » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:38 pm

Welcome to willsingforpopcorn, equinesaretherapy, baddabing, gotmetrapped, traineepsychologist, aabp, priyanka20, stephanievento, learnlivedream, mariacostigano, samah, lusiafer and cerumol. I hope to see you posting in the rest of the forum :)
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare
maven
Site Admin

Postby Jday » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:45 am

Hello everyone!

My name is James and I am currently doing my PhD in Psychology with a focus on digital health. Prior to this I did my BSc in Psychology and Neuroscience and an MSc in Clinical Psychology, and have dabbled in my past as a web designer and hosting provider.
Jday

Postby ell » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:50 pm

Hello and welcome Jday!

What is digital health? Is it something to do with fingers?
ell

Postby dhillong » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:49 pm

Hello all
My name is Gurmit and I joined this forum a few months ago. Im a mental health nurse and worked in a forensic service before moving on to an IAPT. I have worked for the NHS for 13 years and counting. During this time, I completed an MSc and PhD in CBT for severe mental illness.
I think this forum is great as it allows everyone to share valuable experiences and 'normalise' lots of things in relation to cp.
I like playing field hockey and golf when I get a chance, although it time has been an issues lately. I hope to share my experiences and contribute to this forum.

Wishing everyone a happy new year!

Best wishes
GD
dhillong

Postby AnnSimone » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:18 am

Hi everyone!
My name is Simone, and I just joined this forum. I am currently studying BSc Applied Psychology, and have done an HND in Applied Psychology. I really want to pursue a career in clinical psychology, and I hope this forum might guide me. I moved to the UK nearly 3 years ago from Denmark, I have a passion for music and will soon pick up a life goal to learn the piano (wish me luck), my favourite colour is purple, and I spend my spare time going out for coffee with my better half!

Really looking forward to reading more posts! :D
AnnSimone

Postby Bloranger » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:04 pm

Hey, I'm Bloranger - because my favourite colours are blue and orange and I'm great at making up names.

I enjoy statistics, playing games and making beautiful things.

I'm in the third year of my BSc, do some support work, volunteering and research-y things but nothing massively involved. Currently enjoying life.

I've been watching this forum for years and I'd like to thank you for all your honest reflection, your polite provision and graceful acceptance of criticism, your thoughtful debates and so many other things. You offer wonderful advice but you are even better role models.
Bloranger

Postby miriam » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:15 pm

Welcome AnnSimone, Bloranger and Dhillong. I hope you enjoy being part of our little online community :)
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
miriam
Site Admin

Postby ChrisCross » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:15 pm

Hi folks!

I'm Chris, 22, and I'm currently working as an AP in CAMHS. I graduated with an integrated MSci in Psychology and Psychological Practice from Birmingham last year.

Have been browsing the forum for a while now so thought it was about time I made a post.

I'm a bit of a geek (no shame :lol: ) and spend a fair bit of my spare time playing video games, watching anime and reading manga.
ChrisCross

Postby ell » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:20 pm

ChrisCross wrote:Hi folks!

I'm Chris, 22, and I'm currently working as an AP in CAMHS. I graduated with an integrated MSci in Psychology and Psychological Practice from Birmingham last year.

Have been browsing the forum for a while now so thought it was about time I made a post.

I'm a bit of a geek (no shame :lol: ) and spend a fair bit of my spare time playing video games, watching anime and reading manga.

Welcome to the forum, Chris. I once went to a talk by a clinical psychologist who said that if you are the kind of person who likes to sit alone and play video games then you are unlikely to be the kind of person to get onto clinical training. I was a bit worried, as a fellow geeky gamer myself. But I don't think the Oxford clinical course ever noticed that I shouldn't have been there... ;-)
ell

Postby sillydoge » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:00 am

Hi all!

Thought I'd quickly introduce myself :) I am working as a PWP in an IAPT service at the moment. I graduated in Germany, moved over here for an MSC in ClinPsy in Brighton.

I have applied for the doctorate this year (eek!) but am currently trying to spent my free time distracting myself from this and cuddling as many dogs as I can get a hold off! :lol:
sillydoge

Postby Geishawife » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:55 pm

Welcome, sillydoge. Dogs (and cats!) are THE BEST distraction!!
Geishawife
Team Member

Postby lisaann246 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:58 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm Lisa and I am new to this site. I graduated last year with a first class degree in Psychology. I have recently secured a position as an IAPT Trainee PWP (hooray :lol: ), thanks to all the help on this site and the extremely helpful careers advisor at the University I graduated from. I am very excited to start.

I originally wanted to pursue a career as a clinical psychologist, but I am trying to take it slow and enjoy the journey and all the new experiences in my career. I tend to constantly want to do a million things at once.

I enjoy food, exercise, volunteering, reading and many more things! I have 3 adorable cats.

Nice to meet you all.
lisaann246

PreviousNext

Return to This website and forum, plus Aspire