Hello: Introduce yourself here!

The guidance for posting on www.ClinPsy.org.uk and any comments on the forum, suggestions for improvements, etc. Also information about our e-magazine, Aspire, and how to contribute or download your copy.

Re: Hello: Introduce yourself here!

Postby baddabing » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:05 pm

stephanievento wrote:Hi everyone!

I've been reading this forum for about a year now, but I've never posted. I'm a 23-year-old American with a BS in Psychology. I studied in London during my undergrad in 2014, and I've been trying to figure out a way to move back to the UK permanently since then. I'm applying for EU dual citizenship, and my plan was to apply to DClinPsy programs and AP positions as a European because it's extremely difficult (though of course not impossible) to get hired or get accepted to a course as an American.

Now that the EU referendum vote has happened I'm not really sure what my plan should be, but I would still like to move to the UK for my clinical doctorate if possible.

I'm currently working as a Research Assistant on some PTSD treatment studies and other clinically-applicable, trauma-related research with veterans. I want to be a clinical psychologist.

I love reading and traveling, my favorite colors are brown and green, and I hate writing self-summaries online :)

Right now, I need a sort of fairy godperson who can give me solid advice about if and when I should move to the UK given the EU ref, but I know that things are too uncertain right now for anyone to have a definitive answer, so I'll probably just keep lurking for a while.

hi Stefanie, you didn't want to work in America?
baddabing

Postby willsingforpopcorn » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:46 am

Hi everyone!

I just joined today and thought I would introduce myself :-)

My name is Heather and I live in Glasgow, Scotland. I have a first class honours degree in Psychology from the University of Dundee, graduated 2015. During my studies I volunteered as a support worker with a Dramatherapy department for two years, working with adolescents in group dramatherapy.
I moved to Glasgow after graduating and I currently work as the support officer for the NHS 24 services Breathing Space and Living Life. They are both phone-based mental health services. My role is to provide administrational support and I also go to events to promote the services, so a lot of contact with people who identify as having mental healh issues.
My job doesn't require a degree and I don't find it very challenging, I thought when I graduated I would at least get an interview for the AP roles I was applying for, as I have a first class psych degree and two years clinical volunteering experience - but no luck. Most weekends I work as a singer in a wedding band, which is a great creative outlet for me :-)

I joined this forum because I am interested in a career in clinical psychology but, knowing how incredibly difficult and competitive it is, I don't think I stand a chance and generally have no idea what to do next!
willsingforpopcorn

Postby Equinesaretherapy » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:35 pm

Hi everybody,

My favourite colour is deep red. My favourite pizza topping is prosciutto with tons of oozy mozzarella. I have three dogs, two horses and a house rabbit (who rules the roost, terrorises the dogs and is the reason I'm on my third laptop power cable).
Equinesaretherapy

Postby maven » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:38 pm

Welcome to willsingforpopcorn, equinesaretherapy, baddabing, gotmetrapped, traineepsychologist, aabp, priyanka20, stephanievento, learnlivedream, mariacostigano, samah, lusiafer and cerumol. I hope to see you posting in the rest of the forum :)
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare
maven
Site Admin

Postby Jday » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:45 am

Hello everyone!

My name is James and I am currently doing my PhD in Psychology with a focus on digital health. Prior to this I did my BSc in Psychology and Neuroscience and an MSc in Clinical Psychology, and have dabbled in my past as a web designer and hosting provider.
Jday

Postby ell » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:50 pm

Hello and welcome Jday!

What is digital health? Is it something to do with fingers?
ell

Postby dhillong » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:49 pm

Hello all
My name is Gurmit and I joined this forum a few months ago. Im a mental health nurse and worked in a forensic service before moving on to an IAPT. I have worked for the NHS for 13 years and counting. During this time, I completed an MSc and PhD in CBT for severe mental illness.
I think this forum is great as it allows everyone to share valuable experiences and 'normalise' lots of things in relation to cp.
I like playing field hockey and golf when I get a chance, although it time has been an issues lately. I hope to share my experiences and contribute to this forum.

Wishing everyone a happy new year!

Best wishes
GD
dhillong

Postby AnnSimone » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:18 am

Hi everyone!
My name is Simone, and I just joined this forum. I am currently studying BSc Applied Psychology, and have done an HND in Applied Psychology. I really want to pursue a career in clinical psychology, and I hope this forum might guide me. I moved to the UK nearly 3 years ago from Denmark, I have a passion for music and will soon pick up a life goal to learn the piano (wish me luck), my favourite colour is purple, and I spend my spare time going out for coffee with my better half!

Really looking forward to reading more posts! :D
AnnSimone

Previous

Return to This website and forum, plus Aspire