Hello: Introduce yourself here!

The guidance for posting on www.ClinPsy.org.uk and any comments on the forum, suggestions for improvements, etc. Also information about our e-magazine, Aspire, and how to contribute or download your copy.

Re: Hello: Introduce yourself here!

Postby randomgrapes » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:47 pm

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking on the forum for a few weeks now, this is my first post!

I graduated with a 2:1 in Counselling and Psychology in 2015, since then I've been working in a variety of posts! Mainly admin/customer service based, with a stint as a support worker for young people with learning disabilities. When I did my degree I wasn't sure if I could be a psychologist, so in the past 2 years since then it hasn't been my focus. Now that I've looked back into it I've discovered it's definitely what I want to do!

I'm currently 2 months in to a 12 month contract in an admin role, so as soon as I leave here I'll be looking for a "clinically relevant" role! Thankfully I do have that past experience as a support worker so I'm hoping I can find something similar. I'm anxious to get back to it so I check the job postings basically every day :lol: super annoying when I see jobs I wish I could apply for! I think I'm a few years away from being able to apply for the doctorate at the minute, plus my 2:1 is low and not from a great university (literally right at the bottom of the league tables) so I may end up having to do a masters!

A little about me as a person... I play 5 instruments (slight brag there, I'm sorry), and love to stay active by going to the gym or swimming. My favourite colour is either purple or blue at the minute! I love all animals, but I definitely have a soft spot for herding dogs like border collies or German shepherds. I also really love donkeys!!
randomgrapes

Postby angelx » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:20 pm

Hi,

I am new here and I have finally decided to write a post!

I graduated University this year and I gained a 2:I in Psychology. I am now applying for jobs (Assistant Psychology and Research Assistant) so that I can gain as much experience before I can apply for Clinical Psychology training in the future. However, I have had no luck in gaining any interviews yet :( and I am wondering if anyone has had any luck or any advice for me. I would appreciate it.

Thank you :D
angelx

Postby AryaStark » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:38 pm

angelx wrote:Hi,

I am new here and I have finally decided to write a post!

I graduated University this year and I gained a 2:I in Psychology. I am now applying for jobs (Assistant Psychology and Research Assistant) so that I can gain as much experience before I can apply for Clinical Psychology training in the future. However, I have had no luck in gaining any interviews yet :( and I am wondering if anyone has had any luck or any advice for me. I would appreciate it.

Thank you :D

Welcome Angel! I would suggest looking at support worker/healthcare assistant posts too if you're not already as these can be the first stepping stone on the way to getting AP/RA posts and eventually the course. Also, they are great experience in and of themselves as you do not need a AP/RA post in order to get a place! Good luck :D
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
-Max Ehrmann,"Desiderata"
AryaStark

Postby angelx » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:25 pm

Hi AryaStark,

I appreciate your reply and I shall take your advice on board. I have been looking into support worker/healthcare assistant posts too. So I hope I manage to obtain a job role there. Are you a Clinical Psychologist by any chance?

Thank you once again :D
angelx

Postby AryaStark » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:40 pm

Hi Angel,

No, I'm currently an AP, but came from being a support worker. Feel free to message me if I can be of any help!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
-Max Ehrmann,"Desiderata"
AryaStark

Postby angelx » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:53 pm

Oh cool, that's brilliant and I hope the AP job is going well for you.

Thank you :)
angelx

Postby JamieFerrie » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:00 pm

Hi guys!

My name is Jamie, I am 22 and I have just graduated from Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU) with a 1st class honours in Psychology. I am just about to start my MSc in Clinical Health Psychology at Strathclyde University (nervous :lol: ) with the hopes of pursuing a career in Clinical Psychology in the future!

I currently balance two part-time jobs: one as a customer assistant with Morrisons, and the other as a sessional seminar tutor with the GCU Psychology department. I also do some voluntary work with the NHS as a ward befriender and activities facilitator, and also as a voluntary research assistant with the GCU Psychology department.

I do wish to pursue Clinical but I also have strong interests in Health, Counselling, and Neuropsychology :)

In my leisure, I like to research about how to keep my mind and body active and healthy, take some self-defense classes and regularly gym; also sometimes have the odd alcoholic binge :lol:

Lovely to meet you all!
JamieFerrie

Previous

Return to This website and forum, plus Aspire