Site hacked?

The guidance for posting on www.ClinPsy.org.uk and any comments on the forum, suggestions for improvements, etc. Also information about our e-magazine, Aspire, and how to contribute or download your copy.

Site hacked?

Postby hawke » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:09 pm

Hi

Every time I click on this forum, I get a pop up saying "This website tries to use your browser as a blockchain currency miner. It can create considerable CPU load. Allow?" Read on the BBC today that some sites have been hacked to do this, so just wanted to flag it up with the site admins in case you need to look into it.

Thanks
hawke

Re: Site hacked?

Postby Victoriomantic » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:23 pm

Thanks for posting, my virus scanner keeps telling me "threat has been detected" and then saying it has dealt with it.

"We've safely aborted connection on coinhive.com because it was infected with JS:Miner-C[Tr]"

Hope that helps!
Victoriomantic

Postby ell » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:26 pm

Hi, thanks for communicating this to us. Will query it with the other mods/someone who understands this stuff (dammit Jim, I'm a psychologist!). However, I haven't heard from anyone that we've had any security issues.
ell

Postby maven » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:51 am

I'll get our tech team to check this. We haven't intentionally installed any coin miners, and I've not had any warnings about it, but I use a Mac so it may be that it doesn't apply to me.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare
maven
Site Admin

Postby maven » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:36 am

There had been a hack which had placed coin mining code in our banner adverts, and put some offensive words in our welcome message. So apologies for anyone affected by that over the 3 days before we addressed this. The code has now been removed.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare
maven
Site Admin

Return to This website and forum, plus Aspire