We now have a site twitter account!

The guidance for posting on www.ClinPsy.org.uk and any comments on the forum, suggestions for improvements, etc. Also information about our e-magazine, Aspire, and how to contribute or download your copy.
miriam
Site Admin

We now have a site twitter account!

Post by miriam » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:11 pm

We've started tweeting, so why not follow @clinpsy?
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Cattius

Post by Cattius » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:36 pm

Oh what a brilliant idea! Following :D
Cattius.

"Go away, I'm alright" The last words of HG Wells.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:40 pm

24 followers so far :D
Miriam

Shell

Post by Shell » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:44 am

I think this is a fab idea, and thank you for the service that you provide! I'm following :)

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:38 am

Now 33 followers. I wonder how we get psychology societies and university departments to know we exist?

I suppose the eventual aim is to have a facebook page, and twitter, with automated feeds to and from this site?
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

h2eau

Post by h2eau » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:18 pm

Hashtags are a good way to flag up tweets. You also get 'suggested' to other people on their 'who to follow' link based on who you follow. People also tend to add you from another twitter feed's follower list (e.g. BPSconferences, researchdigest, etc.).

You could email all courses to publicise the twitter/facebook feeds?
We deem those happy who from experience of life have learnt to bear its ills without being overcome by them ~ C.G. Jung

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:02 am

We've now got 53 followers!

I'm not sure about following so many people ourselves, as it makes the content harder to pick the quality bits from, but I'm still a newbie to twitter. We are planning to have much better integration to facebook and twitter when we complete the site upgrade next month.
Miriam

Peyman

Post by Peyman » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:56 am

Great idea. I am not a big fan of twitter but this one is worth joining for.

What is the aim of this? I mean what kind of updates will be posted?

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:57 pm

Well, I think at first we will just be filtering some of the most interesting mental health related news and links we receive (so that our followers don't need to follow loads of mental health related feeds) but we will also tweet interesting site announcements (eg "you can now buy tickets for the 100 raffle in aid of Kids Company").

When we upgrade the site, there will be much more integration, so for example we are developing a feed to the front page of the website with what's being talked about on the forum, and the mods will be able to tweet any entries from that "eg hot topic today on clinpsy - confidentiality for staff information" with a link to the discussion.

We are also working on buttons for the forum which will allow people to facebook like a post, or tweet about it...
Miriam

h2eau

Post by h2eau » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:59 pm

We now have 113 followers and are now listed on the following twitter lists: @PositiveLearner/psychology, @routledgemh/professional, @Rishified/mental-health

The number of people retweeting us is also steadily growing :)

I've tried to include a range of topics (research relevant to clinical/health/developmental psychology, neuroscience, health, policy, research and science communication) in the stuff I tweet and retweet on the ClinPsy twitter feed.
We deem those happy who from experience of life have learnt to bear its ills without being overcome by them ~ C.G. Jung

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:48 pm

Sounds good :) I've also been using it to tweet, but not as regularly as you H2eau, so thanks!

I think when we upgrade the site our front page can have our latest tweets on it, as well as the option to tweet what is popular on the forum.

btw, do we gain any advantage from following so many people? I feel a little overwhelmed trying to sift through and decide what to retweet and what to read!
Miriam

russ

Post by russ » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:42 pm

I think the advantage is that they are likely to follow us (and re-tweet us) by way of reciprocation?
metrotherapy: personal and professional development for psychologists at all stages in their career

TJ

Twitter made easier

Post by TJ » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:11 pm

Hi there,

I've been learning a lot about twitter recently for a job, & I can really recommend hootsuite.com. It's basically a better interface to view your twitter account on (& facebook if you want). It has several vertical columns with different functions. One is your newsfeed, another is sent tweets, another is mentions of your twitter name (so you can see who's retweeted your tweets etc). You can set up columns for saved search terms (e.g. #psychology, #CBT - therefore helping to sort through endless tweets for the useful stuff) and there's even a column for 'delayed' tweets where you can schedule tweets to publish when you're not logged on.

It's probably worth taking a look, as I'm sure it's better to see it as an image than as prose. I have found it much better and user-friendly than the normal twitter site.

Hope it helps, & PM me if you've got anymore Q's or if I can help at all.

Tj

h2eau

Post by h2eau » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:53 pm

I already use Hootsuite for the ClinPsy Twitter feed and my other social networking accounts, but thanks anyway! I find it much better and more reliable than Tweetdeck.

TJ

Post by TJ » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:08 am

Cool...maybe I should have asked if you'd tried it first before telling you lots of stuff you already know...doh! :oops:

I'm still a relative beginner on it myself to be honest...am currently learning about twitter parties... !?!!