Hello: Introduce yourself here!

The guidance for posting on www.ClinPsy.org.uk and any comments on the forum, suggestions for improvements, etc. Also information about our e-magazine, Aspire, and how to contribute or download your copy.

Re: Hello: Introduce yourself here!

Postby sarahm123 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:25 am

Hi everyone,

I have just joined after being an observer for the past few years. I graduated in 2013 with a first class honors in psychology from the University of Birmingham, I went on to work as a rehabilitation assistant in a brain injury unit for two years and then as a psychology assistant within long-term condition services. Up until now, I didn't feel quite ready to apply for the doctorate so this is my first time applying this year. :)
sarahm123

Postby worldly » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:54 pm

Hello everyone,

I joined yesterday, and find the site excellent! So to introduce myself, I am a registered paramedic currently, with 2 and a half years post-reg experience (I'm 24). I've always been very interested in psychology and initially was torn between what I do now and MH nursing. However, I'm glad I became a paramedic, it has provided me with invaluable experience, people skills, decision making ability, stress management, along with a high exposure to MH in both moderate and severe capacities. So! I've made the dream of transferring into psychology a reality, and I start a trainee psychological wellbeing practitioner role in a few months time. Future ambitions include taking a masters in psychology, as I have no academic qualifications in it yet, and working towards either forensic or clinical psychology.

In my spare time I'm generally trying to keep fit, and escape the city to the countryside, or Europe or beyond!

:)
worldly

Postby Thomson94 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:13 pm

Hello everyone! I'm guilty of lurking on this website on and off for a few years, but since I've began the Doctorate process this year I thought it would be a good time to join.

I'm Thomson94 and I graduated in 2015 (BSc Psychology), and completed my MSc in 2016.

I'm currently working as an Assistant Psychologist, and I have two years of experience working with adults who have a diagnosis of Autism and Learning Disability. :)
Thomson94

Postby laurajane1994 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:07 pm

Hello! I am a current undergraduate Psychology student in my final year, aiming to achieve at-least a high 2i. I have carried out a placement year during my undergraduate within a children's eating disorder unit as a psychology assistant, and I aim to get a research/assistant post when I graduate in June. I will then be applying for the doctorate for the first time at the end of this year (call me stupid for applying so soon with very little chance of getting on but I thought it wouldn't hurt to apply!).

:D
laurajane1994

Postby Bekky » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:50 pm

Hello!

Have occasionally looked on this forum and figured I should probably join!

I'm Bekky, I graduated with a first in psychology in 2014 and am currently studying a distance learning masters in clinical applications of psychology at Newman university. This is my second year of it and have one more year left - can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

I've previously worked as a support worker in numerous roles/settings but am currently working with children and young people with ADHD and ASD as an assistant Psychologist. Feels like I learn something new everyday in this role!

Haven't applied for training yet. Was going to this year, but am getting married in September and will be in Dominican when the course starts. So hoping to get a bit more knowledge and experience behind me and apply for next year :)

In my spare time (other than planning a wedding and trying not to be bridezilla!) I trampoline with a club which is good fun :)

Looking forward to chatting with others and hearing about others experiences :)
Bekky

Postby PsychMed2017 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:56 pm

Hi guys and girls, PsychMed2017 here (Bill to my friends!) Just thought id say hello; currently holding a BSc Hons degree in Psychology. For this reasoning I'm only called a Psychologist. Good to find somewhere to chat to other people like myself.. ClinPsych's or otherwise. :D
PsychMed2017

Postby MissEleanor » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:59 pm

Hi everyone, I've somehow managed to miss this page, so thought I'd introduce myself. Also I'm hoping that posting this will provide a much-needed distraction from the final five agonising days of waiting to hear DClin shortlisting results... so:

I'm Eleanor and I'm a mature aspiring CP/career-changer, currently working as a psychology research assistant after working in an entirely different field for a number of years. I finished my psychology degree recently with the Open University so if anyone would like to ask about my experience of distance learning, please do PM me.

This forum has been so incredibly helpful to me whilst I was researching clinical psychology as a profession and I've particularly valued reading about the positive experiences of others who have successfully transitioned into clinical psychology after pursuing other careers. I was initially concerned that my CV looked rather disconnected but this forum has encouraged me to see that there is no one 'right' route into training and that other professional/life experiences can be very valuable to future clinical work.

My favourite colour is cobalt blue and I'm a sucker for spaniels or pretty much any dog breed with floppy ears. :)
MissEleanor

Postby KMC00 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:27 pm

Hi everyone! I've just joined and found the site invaluable during my clinical doctorate applications and agonizing wait for results. I thought I'd take the time to introduce myself and my background.

I have a BSc (Hons) and MRes in Psychology and a PhD in Clinical Neuroscience. I currently work in assessing neuropsychological development in infants and children as part of a research study (I also project manager the study) and I work part time as an honorary psychologist in the NHS (inpatient services). Prior to this I've completed postdoctoral positions with first episode psychosis and neurological disorders. So a bit of a mixed bag of experience and study but I love what I do.

My favourite colour is teal, I love yoga and my favourite fish is the seahorse.
KMC00

Postby Jaded » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:54 pm

Hi guys,

I'm new to the website. I took a few years off after university due to family circumstances. With that resolved, a few months ago, I started working as a support worker on an adult acute psychiatric ward. There, I met with our ward's ClinPsych and her manager, the ClinPsych reached out to me regarding gaining psychology experience and I jumped at the offer!

Our ward is particularly busy due to the amount of beds (one of the largest in the UK), but I wouldn't dream of working elsewhere. I've learnt so much about myself and mental illness in general and super excited about starting my volunteer AP post. I have my first supervision meeting in 2 weeks time, thereafter I start my role.

Just wanted to say Hi, feel free to ask me any questions regarding my role, in the mean time, I'm looking forward to exploring ClinPsy.org.
-Graduated from Psychology with Cognitive Neuroscience in 2013 from University of Leicester
-Support worker and Volunteer Assistant Psychologist on an Acute Adult mixed gender ward.
-Hopeful Clinical Psychologist
Jaded

Postby Jaded » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:56 pm

KMC00 wrote:Hi everyone! I've just joined and found the site invaluable during my clinical doctorate applications and agonizing wait for results. I thought I'd take the time to introduce myself and my background.

I have a BSc (Hons) and MRes in Psychology and a PhD in Clinical Neuroscience. I currently work in assessing neuropsychological development in infants and children as part of a research study (I also project manager the study) and I work part time as an honorary psychologist in the NHS (inpatient services). Prior to this I've completed postdoctoral positions with first episode psychosis and neurological disorders. So a bit of a mixed bag of experience and study but I love what I do.

My favourite colour is teal, I love yoga and my favourite fish is the seahorse.

Jealous of your experience, sounds amazing! Good luck with your application - I'm still at the very early stages of gaining experience :)
-Graduated from Psychology with Cognitive Neuroscience in 2013 from University of Leicester
-Support worker and Volunteer Assistant Psychologist on an Acute Adult mixed gender ward.
-Hopeful Clinical Psychologist
Jaded

Postby lism » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:42 pm

Hello Everyone!

Just joined the forum. I'm currently heading into final year of undergrad. Hoping to apply to clinical at the end of this year. I have worked in various healthcare settings e.g. physical disability day centre, learning disability day centre, learning disability/mental health supported living for 16+ years (mature 32 year old student) so I'm hoping my ability to reflect on all of that experience will help me out. Failing that I'm hoping to get on to a clinically relevant masters, there's so many to choose from!
My favourite colour is... can't pick one so, grey, black, rose gold. Animal has to be British shorthair cat.
Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic - Professor Dumbledor
lism

Postby miriam » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:57 pm

Welcome to all our new sign-ups. Hope to see you all joining in the discussions :)
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
miriam
Site Admin

Postby TTaylor » Fri May 12, 2017 10:19 am

Hi all,

I've recently moved over from South Africa where I was working as a television reporter and counsellor. I have a First class Honours in Psychology (I retrained part time finishing last year). I’m hoping to start in my first job as an HCA soon and move onto assistant psychologist, with the hope of doing clinical. I’ve got about 8 years of experience in media so I also write about mental health and psychology for various publications.
TTaylor

Postby muktasingh14 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:53 pm

Hello , I am mukta and i was really pleased to know that such a forum exists . I thank the forum and people on it to accept me to be a part of it . :)
muktasingh14

Postby Robin79 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:41 am

Hello, thanks for being here!!

I am an Italian Psychologist, I hope to manage and get through the messy process of HCPC mutual recognition.

Looking forward to knowing some of you more, or all of you :)
Robin79

PreviousNext

Return to This website and forum, plus Aspire