Jobs you might have missed thread

The guidance for posting on www.ClinPsy.org.uk and any comments on the forum, suggestions for improvements, etc. Also information about our e-magazine, Aspire, and how to contribute or download your copy.
miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:45 pm

The moderating team have been discussing the jobs you might have missed thread.

There have been several recent examples of people trying to circumvent our advertising charges by advertising within this thread, some people even signing up to do so. That bothers me. Our charges for advertising are so minimal (£40+vat compared to more than double that for one tenth audience in the local paper or on psychminded, or £500+ on the BPS site) that I can't see why anyone who can afford to pay a person a salary can claim not to be able to afford them. Plus advertising is our only source of income on the site, apart from all the money that I've invested over the years from my own pocket.

I am trying to understand what purpose this thread serves for people, and whether we would be wiser as a forum to close it down to generate additional income from paid advertising, or to restrict it to jobs on jobs.nhs.uk/jobs.scot.nhs.uk and jobs.ac.uk? Or do we allow non-profits to link there and aim to generate income in other ways?
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Will
Team Member

Re: Jobs you might have missed thread

Post by Will » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:05 pm

Truth be told I've never really understood the point of the thread and my vote would be to close it. As you say it's totally reasonable to charge a small fee for advertising a post to a highly specific audience.
Ponderings and wonderings in 140 characters - @willcurvis

BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:07 pm

I always saw a vague utility when people posted NHS jobs that were titles like 'Associate mental health stefanopolist' .. which no one ever really understood but turned out to be a pretty decent looking job. My searches would never have found them but other had just by chance.

I think the increasing attempts to avoid advertising mean that unfortunately it isn't viable to go on posting private/3rd sector jobs in the thread. But personally I'd like to see NHS jobs allowed to stay :)
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

Howieduck

Post by Howieduck » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:22 pm

If there is a disclaimer about no free advertising on the page somewhere, then If people try to get free advertising could you not then invoice them appropriately ?

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:14 am

I think this week is time to restrict or close that thread. So, does anyone have a preference whether we make it nhs and academic jobs with unusual titles only or whether we close it altogether?
Miriam

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:30 am

Hello,

Whilst I personally don't use the thread myself, I know that my university frequently checks the thread for jobs and has found it useful.

AnonymousMouse

Post by AnonymousMouse » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:52 am

I think NHS and academic jobs, but with unusual (and sometimes misspelled!) names would be useful.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:56 am

I agree with AnonymousMouse, but if the payment-dodging advert problem has become such an issue, maybe it would help more to have a sticky thread with a list of search terms (i.e. the associate mental health stanopol-whatever) that people wouldn't think to use?
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:00 pm

AnonymousMouse wrote:I think NHS and academic jobs, but with unusual (and sometimes misspelled!) names would be useful.
This is actually how the thread started and it's intended function. But somehow over time it has become something quite different :)
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

CuppaT

Post by CuppaT » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:02 pm

I check the thread to see what unusual but relevant job titles are coming up. I don't see why that can't be in a list format rather than a link to the job itself though.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:02 pm

So do we want to start a new thread that is "jobs that use unusual search terms or titles that you might not thought of" where people can share the terms or job title, but not provide a link to it unless it is on nhs jobs or jobs.ac.uk?
Miriam

Blackbubblequeen

Post by Blackbubblequeen » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:26 pm

Personally I have to say I use the thread quite a lot and frequently recommend coming onto the clinpsy forum to any job-seeking colleagues. During application season I usually check it once a day as it's very easy to miss relevant assistant posts that are advertised in places other than NHS jobs e.g. Charity websites.

It would be a shame to close it down because of people avoiding advertising fees, but it is difficult to pinpoint an alternative course of action for the admins :(

Sushiroll

Post by Sushiroll » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:17 pm

I look at this thread on a daily basis to double check there are no jobs that I have missed. I agree that it would be a good idea to start a new thread that is "jobs that use unusual search terms" or something along those lines where people can share the job title but no link to the job.

SamR

Post by SamR » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:56 pm

In my time applying for assistant psychology posts i found this thread invaluable for finding private charities which hire assistant psychologists. It has also served as a useful place for people leaving their post to offer some insight into their role and explain any unusual elements. The former can still happen if the charities are willing to pay for an advertisement, which i imagine many are. The later is not essential, but it would be a shame to lose the opportunity to share information.

Overall, i see no reason this couldn't be moved to a restricted forum, though I agree that the unusual job titles on interesting roles are worth still sharing.

beanycakes

Post by beanycakes » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:14 pm

I personally check this thread a lot, as there are so many places other than the NHS that advertise, which makes looking at every possible website very difficult, making it easy to miss a position that may be perfect for you. Therefore the thread is an invaluable resource to this site, and I would be very disappointed to see it go.