Practising pedantry

The guidance for posting on www.ClinPsy.org.uk and any comments on the forum, suggestions for improvements, etc. Also information about our e-magazine, Aspire, and how to contribute or download your copy.

Practising pedantry

Postby Kentucky_Freud_Chicken » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:35 pm

The front page of the website (and the description given by google) says:

"ClinPsy.org.uk is a website for aspiring clinical psychologists and those with an interest in the practise of clinical psychology in the UK"

As 'practise' is a verb and 'practice' is the noun, shouldn't it be "the practice of clinical psychology"?

I wasn't going to say anything but I've started losing sleep over the matter so I need some closure.
Kentucky_Freud_Chicken

Postby katyboo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:01 pm

dear KFC,
sorri to hear you are loosing sleap over grammer.i rilly hope you feel better;soon.Does poor spellign upset you to? :P
katyboo

Postby miriam » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:04 pm

As a proud pedant myself I will happily amend it, though my editor is glitching so I'll need DaveJM's assistance and can't do it immediately...
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
miriam
Site Admin

Postby miriam » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:39 am

I've done the front page (thanks Dave) so it should filter through to Google in due course. Thanks for noticing :)
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Has travelling interfered with your career progression?

Postby BlueCat » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:15 pm

Ruthie wrote:I don't know anyone who regrets travelling but I do know a few who regret not travelling!

I remember a discussion with a fairly imminent UK psychologist who didn't travel as she wanted to progress quickly in her career and progress she has! However, she said looking back she has no idea why she was in such a hurry to progress as a year or two is no time at all over the duration of you entire career and that the opportunity to travel for a year or so doesn't come up often once you are on the career treadmill and start making commitments such as mortgages and having a family.

Ruthie

Is she about to happen?
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.
BlueCat
Site Admin

Re: Has travelling interfered with your career progression?

Postby matt.berlin » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:09 pm

BlueCat wrote:
Ruthie wrote:I don't know anyone who regrets travelling but I do know a few who regret not travelling!

I remember a discussion with a fairly imminent UK psychologist who didn't travel as she wanted to progress quickly in her career and progress she has! However, she said looking back she has no idea why she was in such a hurry to progress as a year or two is no time at all over the duration of you entire career and that the opportunity to travel for a year or so doesn't come up often once you are on the career treadmill and start making commitments such as mortgages and having a family.

Ruthie

Is she about to happen?

I thought the same thing but decided to put my pedantry aside - glad you didn't :wink:
Ordnung ist das halbe Leben ... aber die andere Hälfte ist viel schöner!
matt.berlin

Re: Practising pedantry

Postby Ruthie » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:19 pm

Ooooooooh! I'll be watching your posts very closely BC (and Matt)! :twisted:
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken Him completely by surprise.
Ruthie

Return to This website and forum, plus Aspire