Short Counselling Courses

Read tips here about about how to apply for posts and courses, what to expect in inteviews, in how short-listing is done

Short Counselling Courses

Postby escapee » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:46 am

Accredited courses are generally run by BACP, CPCAB, or UKCP.

You can find courses either by browsing your local uni’s and colleges or through http://www.hotcourses.com/

Length of courses
Short courses
There are short courses of ten weeks (usually 3 hours a week), that cover basic counselling skills such as effective and non-effective listening, trust, raising self awareness, getting in touch with your feelings, attentive listening, reflecting, responding, open and closed questions, core values and beliefs (unconditional positive regard).
Learning is mostly interactive, group tasks, discussions, and role plays. Assessment is generally through a reflective diary.

Longer courses
This usually involves working toward the diploma in counselling but may be broken down into two separate years. The split varies depending where the course is taught, but seems to favour practical skills in the first year followed by theory in the second year. This builds upon the skills gained within the short course and begins to add theory to techniques. Key aims are to develop counselling skills, facilitate self-awareness, provide an introduction to counselling theory, develop awareness of ethical issues.
Assessment is generally through reflective diaries (though they have to meet certain criteria), presentations, written work, role plays and a short exam.

View of counselling courses by clinical courses
Comments from a couple of clinical courses regarding how counselling is looked on is that it may add a couple of points in the personal suitability of the candidate section.

Example experiences of students
“I really enjoyed the short course, I found it made me think much more about myself and how I react to situations. It also made me much more aware of how I respond and act with other people. In my clinical work, it helped me to think of different ways to phrase things and to pay attention to small details.”

Note: If you have a suggestion about how to improve or add to this wiki please post it here. If you want to discuss this post please post a new thread in the forum. There is information about the structure, rules and copyright of the wiki here.

Last checked by qualified clinical psychologist (BlueCat) on 23/05/2016
Content checked by trainee clinical psychologist on 13/02/13
Last modified by Borrowed_Cone on 13/02/13
Last edited by BlueCat on Mon May 23, 2016 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: to correct broken links
escapee

Return to Wiki: Applications, short-listing, interviews, and gaining posts