Leaving IAPT before completing PWP training?

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care

Leaving IAPT before completing PWP training?

Postby sofia » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:51 pm

I was wondering if anyone has first hand experience with that (or knows someone who has done it)? I am a PWP trainee and I am not sure whether this is the right role for me.
I also know that it would not look good on my CV if I drop out of the training.
I am not considering of doing it immediately (have not even applied for another job) but just wanted to ask.
sofia

Re: Leaving IAPT before completing PWP training?

Postby Ppepper25 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:31 am

I know of a fee people who dropped out of the course in the first few weeks, however I'm not sure of the circumstances around this.
How far into it are you, and what parts of the role are you struggling with/not enjoying?
Personally, as it's less than a year's course, I would stick it out, just so you have the qualification under your belt. It won't just advance your clinical skills, but also demonstrates an ability to study at a post graduate level.
Ppepper25

Postby sofia » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:53 pm

Ppepper25 wrote:I know of a fee people who dropped out of the course in the first few weeks, however I'm not sure of the circumstances around this.
How far into it are you, and what parts of the role are you struggling with/not enjoying?
Personally, as it's less than a year's course, I would stick it out, just so you have the qualification under your belt. It won't just advance your clinical skills, but also demonstrates an ability to study at a post graduate level.

Thank you for your reply Ppepper25 :) I've started in October so I suppose your advice is good - I might as well finish it! I wouldn't say 'm struggling as I already have a higher level postgrad qualification (probably one of the reasons I don't think it is a right fit for me). I don't think that the guided self help model, telephone work and psychoed workshops are for me and I am also more interested in secondary care. I was aware of some of these things when I started but not all. Perhaps also being part of a big team. However I do agree that it is very good experience, even though CBT is not new to me, the role teaches a lot about working in a busy environment and being able to cope with the demands and the stress that come with it.
sofia

Postby Ppepper25 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:18 am

OK, so you're a few months in as opposed to a few weeks, so that's good!
Certain iapt services, like the one I'm in, is a lot less typical of pure iapt. All our work is face to face, unless someone wants a phone appointment, and we have upto 45 minutes at step 2, and I only do 1 workshop a week, and they certainly aren't pushed upon clients.
Complete your training and see if you can use it in an environment you enjoy more. It's a well respected qualification, and if you like secondary care, you could always go on to do full cbt training and it will benefit you hugely for that!
Good luck :)
Ppepper25

Postby sofia » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:55 pm

Ppepper25 wrote:OK, so you're a few months in as opposed to a few weeks, so that's good!
Certain iapt services, like the one I'm in, is a lot less typical of pure iapt. All our work is face to face, unless someone wants a phone appointment, and we have upto 45 minutes at step 2, and I only do 1 workshop a week, and they certainly aren't pushed upon clients.
Complete your training and see if you can use it in an environment you enjoy more. It's a well respected qualification, and if you like secondary care, you could always go on to do full cbt training and it will benefit you hugely for that!
Good luck :)

Yes, services could be very different! I do have opportunities for face-to-face work but the management is saying we should be doing predominantly telephone.
And thank you again, it is useful to hear that I would be better off finishing the training. I do know it myself but had to ask after all!
Good luck to you too :)
sofia

Return to Improving Access to Psychological Therapies: IAPT