'PWP Apprentice'

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care

'PWP Apprentice'

Postby GeekyMcGee » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:04 am

Hi All,

I've been hearing about a new type of PWP role called 'Apprentice PWP' which apparently some IAPT sites are set to pilot out across the country. Anyone else heard of this/ or know how this role is differentiated from Trainee PWP's?
GeekyMcGee

Re: 'PWP Apprentice'

Postby baa » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:00 pm

Do you have any links to job adverts? It sounds like a pwp job without the training, but I may be being overly cynical.
At least I'm not as mad as that one!
baa
Team Member

Postby nomnom » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:07 pm

There was talk in our service of employing band 4 'assistant pwps' not so long ago - is that what you mean? There was a pilot a couple of years ago from which someone did progress on to qualifying but unsure if this is happening again.
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'
nomnom

Postby GeekyMcGee » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:13 pm

Don't have any links to adverts at present. It's just something that management in my team have been bandying about every now and then and have been keeping under wraps.

We have previously had 'Assistant PWP's' before who were mainly employed to help with psycho-ed courses so unsure as to why we would be calling them 'apprentice PWP's' now. I'm with you Baa - that's what I think it would boil down to. But unsure how such a position could be justified. If an advert comes up - I'll post it on here.
GeekyMcGee

Postby baa » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:35 pm

I wonder if there are some kind of rules about using the word 'apprentice' - since a lot of work places offer them as an actual, goverment supported thing with associated training and all sorts.

Oh! It looks like they are coming up with rules, or something (I have only skimread)
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... misuse.pdf

I would be quite careful if I was them, and would probably stick with calling them PWP assistants.
baa
Team Member

Postby baa » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:35 pm

Or just employ PWPs ;)
baa
Team Member

Postby ell » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:37 pm

Am I the only one who thought this would be about a new programme with Prof David Clark in the Lord Alan Sugar role, setting budding PWPs ridiculous tasks and firing one each week?

"This week the budding PWPs are tasked with designing a new innovative stress management course, and then, by using their networking skills with GP surgeries and other agencies, deliver the course to as many clients as possible. The team with the biggest decrease on the PHQ-9 and GAD-7 scores will win a treat, while someone on the losing team will be going home."
ell

Postby PsyJason » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:14 am

ell wrote:Am I the only one who thought this would be about a new programme with Prof David Clark in the Lord Alan Sugar role, setting budding PWPs ridiculous tasks and firing one each week?

"This week the budding PWPs are tasked with designing a new innovative stress management course, and then, by using their networking skills with GP surgeries and other agencies, deliver the course to as many clients as possible. The team with the biggest decrease on the PHQ-9 and GAD-7 scores will win a treat, while someone on the losing team will be going home."

Ell, that had me laughing out loud here.

What a cracking idea!
PsyJason

Postby bluegoat » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:43 am

It sounds as if interest in this has been reignited...

...To address this, a consortium consisting of a range of employers, HEIs and the BPS are developing a degree level apprenticeship standard to provide an additional way of delivering PWP training.

The development of a new Apprenticeship Standard is an employer led process. The PWP consortium is chaired by Ann Carter, Head of Primary Care Psychological Therapy Services, South Essex Partnership Trust and consists of 10 employers, 2 of which are small employers.

The consortium submitted their Expression of Interest (EoI) to the Department for Education (DfE) on 23rd February and the consultation is now open for comment until 20th March...

Here's the link if anyone wants to shares their views...

https://consult.education.gov.uk/appren ... eoifeb2017
bluegoat

Postby GeekyMcGee » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:53 pm

Interesting. Good find Bluegoat
GeekyMcGee

Postby raun01 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:14 am

PWP apprentice sounds interesting to me...bluegoat thanks for clarity
raun01

Return to Improving Access to Psychological Therapies: IAPT