Applying for qualified posts whilst still a trainee

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care

Applying for qualified posts whilst still a trainee

Postby cassiecat » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:38 pm

Hi,

I am currently undertaking my PWP training. The course finishes at the end of June but my contract with my employer is until the end of September. Does anyone know if it is possible to apply for qualified jobs before the end of the full training year? Do you have to wait until you have confirmation of your results? And does anyone know if it is possible to move jobs after completing the course but not having received confirmation of your results?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
cassiecat

Re: Applying for qualified posts whilst still a trainee

Postby sofia » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:39 pm

I would like to ask the same question. I am in the same situation and would really like to know! I would like to move to a different city and obviously have to go to another service as well.
As far as I know, some(if not all?) services are happy to hire pwp's who have not received their qualification yet but have submitted all assignments, clinical and supervision hours and have finished the classes at uni.
However, any information from people who might have done would be greatly appreciated :)
sofia

Postby PanGirl1984 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:09 am

It is certainly possible, in fact it seems to happen regularly. A lot of services start advertising for PWPs early summer with the intention of securing the good soon-to-be qualified PWPs. The adverts usually say "suitable for newly qualified" and you would need to outline where you are up to in your training and your predicted grade (pass, merit, distinction) in your application. Normally Trusts will make an offer of employment on the condition you pass. I would advise staying where you are until all your work is signed off by your supervisors - it gets tricky otherwise. Start dates for new posts are usually early autumn. Hope that helps.
PanGirl1984

Postby Sam1987 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:13 am

I second PanGirl1984. I applied for qualified positions whilst still a trainee. I had to work as a trainee until my results came through. As I received some information to say I'd passed the course, the service I was working for needed proper proof from the university. I had to contact them and they provided me with a formal letter to say which modules I had passed. Once my certificate came through my pay scale changed to qualified pay. I hope that makes sense.
That's mine! I bought that from Halfords!
Sam1987

Postby sofia » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:07 pm

Thank you both, this is very helpful!
This is my anxiety speaking, but I have to ask: obviously I will wait until all work is signed off supervisor but there are assignments still due end of June (that is when clinical logs etc are due too). So realistically I can go to another service in July but what happens in the event of failing an assignment? Would that have any impact on the new role or is it as simple as resubmitting?
sofia

Postby PanGirl1984 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:19 am

It shouldn't have any impact (though it might make them nervous). I think you could just resubmit - doing it in your own time obviously. Remember you wouldn't have access to the same clinical notes once you moved.
PanGirl1984

Postby nomnom » Mon May 01, 2017 11:01 am

It shouldn't be too much of an issue as it quite common for trainees to apply to qualified roles before finishing however the employment offer may be conditional upon passing either first time or upon resubmitting.
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'
nomnom

Return to Improving Access to Psychological Therapies: IAPT