BPS Guidelines for the Employment of Assistant Psychologists

Post here to discuss evaluating published research, sharing papers you have found of interest, plus requests for help with literature searches or locating papers

Re: BPS Guidelines for the Employment of Assistant Psycholog

Postby ell » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:18 am

I've been wondering, given these BPS guidelines have gone from their website and are pretty old now anyway (well, 8 years old in a fast changing NHS context), are they actually relevant anymore, or meant to be followed? I wish the BPS would either write new ones, or make a statement about it. Otherwise we'll soon be passing round 20 year old guidance and expecting to be following it.
ell

Postby Randomswirls » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:59 am

They were rewritten as I had a copy of one that was written recently it talked about the distinction between band 4 and 5 and if I recall had a section on honorary aps to.

I don't know where my copy went or how I got them which is so unhelpful but they don't seem to have ever been published!
Randomswirls

Postby ell » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:16 am

Randomswirls wrote:They were rewritten as I had a copy of one that was written recently it talked about the distinction between band 4 and 5 and if I recall had a section on honorary aps to.

I don't know where my copy went or how I got them which is so unhelpful but they don't seem to have ever been published!

That's useful to know Random, although it still makes me wonder why they aren't easier to get hold of, and what that means about the validity of them now.

Although, given the various BPS/DCP issues at the moment, perhaps this is not high on the priority list.
ell

Postby MarkM » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:43 pm

I agree with you, ell. They should be easier to get hold of! And yeah there are things going on that may be high priority but this isn't really anything that would take too much time. I really don't understand why the BPS has removed them, without any comment whatsoever. I kind of think it's something that got lost when they moved the DCP page a while ago and it just got forgotten about?

Anyway, I've got the official 2007 document, and an unofficial(?) version of the rewritten guidelines (2016). The latter can be found here (click). I wouldn't normally paste the link but it wasn't that hard to find on google... (; Hope it is ok to post the link. If not then I am sorry; feel free to edit my post and remove the link.
:cat: I like cats! :cat:
MarkM

Postby ell » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:53 pm

An interesting read. The amount of formal supervision seems quite a lot of time! Also, am disappointed there's not more guidance on APs 'doing therapy', as well as what the CPD time should be used for.

But again, I do wonder if the lack of formal publication of this says something.

(also realising I was operating outwith the band 4 limits when I was a band 4... thing is, I got my band 4 job following being in two band 5 posts, so it was a natural progression for me, but I think the role I was in was even less of a band 4 role than my band 5 posts had been, they were just trying to make it cheaper!)
ell

Postby PeteR » Sun May 21, 2017 9:21 pm

laurenr wrote:
PeteR wrote:Hello,

If anyone could PM me these guidelines I would be very grateful!

Thank you.

Did you get an answer? I would like them too please!

No - I would still be very interested in them!
PeteR

Previous

Return to Papers and Journal Articles