CP training: Please give me your opinion

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories

CP training: Please give me your opinion

Postby Isaure » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:42 pm

Dear clinpsy community,

It would be very helpful to have your opinion about how I could improve my chances to get into CP training.

I am 32, I am French and I leave in the UK for a couple of years. I have always wanted to work in mental health with a special interest in crosscultural psychology and evidence-based therapies.

My(belgian)academic background:

-bachelor's degree in Psychology 2:1
-graduate member of the BPS
-master's degree in Speech and language therapy ( recognised by the HCPC)
- master's degree in Neuropsychology

Experience:

-3 years working in French as a SaLT in private practice and Neuro
-1 year and a half as a volunteer with asylum seekers in the UK( befriending, advice and art therapy assistant ) with diverse mental health issues.
- 6 months as an HCA in the NHS occasionally supporting the mental health team and therapists with cases of fabricated or induced illness.
- 2 months ago as a volunteer in a mental health ward and HCA banks in mental health. This way I try to understand better how CPs work and to be involved in a mental health professional's community.

On a more personal note, I have been thinking about CP for a long time without feeling ready. I worked on myself using my studies and therapies such as CBT and psychodynamic. I came in the UK dreaming about it and wanting to learn more about evidenced-based therapiesused in the BUS and british psychology. I have applied in my first year here with no interview in the end. At that time, I was not working in the NHS only got the BPS recognition. I reconsidered training as a CP after realising how hard it is even for british people. But still determined to work in mental health, I met different professionals including CPs and RMNs who encouraged me to try harder and I have been asked to apply for an honorary AP position. So I have a bit of hope now.

I think I need some experience working under CP's supervision eventually as an AP/RA. I need to improve my English and my experience of research. It seems a very long way to go with no guaranty of success in the end but in the meantime, I enjoy what I do and accompanying patients.

Thank you very much for your help and time
Isaure

Re: CP training: Please give me your opinion

Postby Spatch » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:57 am

While it is slightly different to what you are asking, I know of of several Counselling Psychologists who have come from similar backgrounds to yourself. I think what tied them together was their broad approaches to therapy and therapeutic activities and orientation around direct patient work (rather than with teams, neuropsych, research, clinical leadership and management, organisational stuff that comes into Clinical Psychology). While it was an expensive route, having talked about the similiarities and differences of the two pathways, they have all spoken about how it was a better fit for their aspirations even though they may have intially considered Clinical.

May be worth considering as a viable alternative?
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Experience-Assistant-Psychologist-ebook/dp/B00EQFE5JW/
Spatch
Team Member

Re: CP training: Please give me your opinion

Postby Isaure » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:16 am

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have been thinking about counselling psychology as well. I dont have any proper training but I surely have used counselling skills in my practice.
I am particularly interested by the fact you met people with my background in this field. I had no idea and it definitely makes sense as you picture it. That's very encouraging and could be articulated with my therapist's activity.

What about clinical psychology ? Is there a Clinical psychologist on this forum happy to share her/his thoughts about my profil ?
Isaure

Return to Careers advice