What to do next...

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories

What to do next...

Postby lozzyhickers » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:13 am

My current contract is finishing mid-June and there is no opportunity for extension due to funding. Late May I have a DClin interview, and although I know my chances aren't great, I'm not giving up. So I need something to do with myself until mid Sept at the earliest (assuming I do get a place). And of course I will know for certain by 9th June. I have two options at work.

1) Apply for a full-time fixed post job, usually for 1 year, and give notice if I do get on a doctorate, only about one or two weeks after starting the post,

2) Explore opportunities for some of our short term (3-6 month) jobs. That way if I get on a doctorate, I'm not tied down. And if I don't, I can apply for a longer fixed-term job as soon as I know.

Anyone been in this position before? What would you do?
lozzyhickers
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: What to do next...

Postby BlueCat » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:54 am

Why not do both and see what sticks? I'm a fan of not counting chicks before eggs have hatched. At the moment the situation is that you will not have a job in June unless you do something about it. It is April. That's two months. I would suggest you apply for both longer term and shorter term jobs, as by the time the whole recruitment process completes, you will be out of a job anyway, whether or not you get a place on a doctorate programme.

In May, the situation may change. You will still be in your current post, and you may or may not have something to go to when your contract finishes. If the situation does change and you are offered a place on a doctorate course, then you can think about how/when to give notice.

So, basically, my advice would be to explore any and all options for future employment once your current post comes to an end, without factoring the possibility of a place on a doctorate into the equation. Once you know the outcome of your interview, then factor that in to your decisions, but not now.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.
User avatar
BlueCat
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2746
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:42 pm

Re: What to do next...

Postby lozzyhickers » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:28 pm

Thank Bluecat for your take on my situation. I agree that's it's not a good idea to count the chicks too soon. So taking both options is also an option, that I hadn't thought of considering. The benefit of our short term jobs is that they do not require an interview, so it would be switching straight from one contract to another.

If I were to get a longer term contract, and get a DClin rejection, there's no problem. What concerns me is that if I do get an offer, I would need to pretty much give my notice right away. Surely that would make me look pretty bad?
lozzyhickers
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: What to do next...

Postby han10 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi Lozzyhickers,

While it might not be ideal to start a job and hand in notice quickly these things happen - situations change for all sorts of things - partner's work get relocated, you find out a family member is ill and need more time to help care for them (both reasons I know why people have done something similar and left a job quickly after accepting an offer).

Obviously, I would caution against doing it multiple times and having lots of little bits of jobs on a CV but once will not make a difference in terms of other empolyers seeing it. Also if you are polite, curteous and apologetic your current empolyer will be understanding too. There are even some benefits if a candidate leaves a job quickly as they may be able to call up another unsuccessful candidate to fill the position and not have to re-interview.
han10
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:20 pm

Re: What to do next...

Postby maven » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:40 am

In those circumstances, how is a short job going to look bad? You'll then have a clear upward step, and three years in the same place before you have to apply for anything else. And once you are qualified nobody is going to ask why you gave up a graduate job to go onto training, are they?
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare
User avatar
maven
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1761
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: What to do next...

Postby Randomswirls » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:48 am

When I applied for my most recent job by the time I'd found it and applied and then been interviewed and informed I had got the job it was about a month in total. It then took three months for me to start the job by the time I had gone through Occupational health, DBS, references and so on. So if your apply for longer fixed term jobs you will probably be in a good situation by the time of your dclin interview!

If I don't get on this year I will be in your shoes and would apply for both jobs to see what happened etc.
Randomswirls
 
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:21 pm

Re: What to do next...

Postby lozzyhickers » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:16 am

Thank you all for your input.

I have decided to apply for the longer fixed-term jobs (all are advertised very short notice in our school, so the turnaround is very quick). Also going to have a meeting with HoD to explore if there are any upcoming posts.

Have considered enrolling for a PhD part time (have done a full time MSc and full time job concurrently), but my heart wouldn't be in it, and I wouldn't be able to guarantee that I would complete, as I do not wish to stay in this location for that long really. Also out dept. are very funny about applying for a part time PhD on top of a job unless it was advertised as such an opportunity to start with.
lozzyhickers
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: What to do next...

Postby Loula » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:35 am

lozzyhickers wrote:Have considered enrolling for a PhD part time (have done a full time MSc and full time job concurrently), but my heart wouldn't be in it, and I wouldn't be able to guarantee that I would complete, as I do not wish to stay in this location for that long really. Also out dept. are very funny about applying for a part time PhD on top of a job unless it was advertised as such an opportunity to start with.


I was always advised don't apply for a PhD unless you really feel passionately about doing it. Part-time you are looking at 6 years. That is a lot of time for something your heart isn't in now, so I suspect in 4 years time it definitely wouldn't be!

I would just apply for any jobs and then reconsider options when you have them, I think at this time of year employers are pretty pragmatic about people getting offered alternatives. I did interviews for an AP post earlier this week and had the highest interview cancellation rate of any I've done before which I suspect was influenced by the local course giving out their offers last week.

I ended up signing on between my fixed term post and the course! But my contract ended in July so a bit later and I had my course offer in March so there was less uncertainty.
User avatar
Loula
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:28 pm

Re: What to do next...

Postby lozzyhickers » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:13 pm

Hi,

Just in case anyone is interested I thought i'd say what is going on. I just interviewed this morning for a Research Therapist position doing CRT in psychosis. I think the interview went well, but I am much less excited about the position now I've spoken to the PI. Although I would get plenty of clinical contact, there is not much chance of any publications, and apparently they're having to sort a holiday rota just so researchers can get time off. Seems quite restricted.

Meanwhile I've been invited to apply for a Research Co-ordinator position, working across a few Ultra-High Risk trials in an EI service I know well. There would be a change for publication, CP supervision, and also the opportunity to do AP work once a week assessing and treating with CBT. It would also be a lot more flexible in terms of leave etc. I am edging more towards the latter option.

What would you do?
lozzyhickers
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: What to do next...

Postby miriam » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:16 pm

Second one sounds better, but it also sounds like you've already made your decision!
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
User avatar
miriam
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7230
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:20 pm
Location: Bucks


Return to Careers advice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest