Can a trainee psychologist works part time in MH setting?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories

Can a trainee psychologist works part time in MH setting?

Postby cassie0301 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:47 am

Hi,

I am looking for some advice if i could work part time in a mental health setting (e.g. therapies/psychologist assistant) while pursuing my dclinpsych. I am a self funded, non local/EU student and would like to use my existing experience to earn a little to cover my costs of living.

Background: Graduated with degree in pscyhology (2:1), 3 years experience working in acute inpatient psychiatric hospital.
Going to study dclinpsych with Tier 4 visa

What are your thoughts?
cassie0301

Re: Can a trainee psychologist works part time in MH setting

Postby PsyJason » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:37 pm

Hi Cassie,

Honestly, I would really struggle to do any other work whilst completing the DClinPsy! The workload is heavy and I am pretty tired after each day, be it placement or teaching.

Although I am not self-funded, my understanding is that all those completing the doctorate programme are told to ensure they have no other obligations, such as other jobs.
PsyJason

Re: Can a trainee psychologist works part time in MH setting

Postby BenJMan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:03 am

I don't think there is any legal reason you could not do this, providing you declared it with the trust. It would be an extremely heavy workload to take on and leave you with next to no time for a personal life or to rest and relax, but theoretically it would be possible.
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.
BenJMan

Return to Careers advice