assistant psychologist v research assistant

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
xashx

assistant psychologist v research assistant

Post by xashx » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:14 pm

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice as I am completely going round in circles umm-ing and ahh-ing over this.

Have been invited to interview for a research assistant post with leading MH trust, but I am so happy as an Assistant Psychologist at the moment. on the off chance I attended the interview and got offered it (I am currently very unsure), I was just hoping for some insight in to the day to day of a Research Assistant so I could make an informed choice (IF!! i got offered it, i by no means think i am in with a chance here).

Will the R.A experience stand me in good stead for the doctorate in terms of academic/research desirability?

many thanks in advance

MindfulPsych

Re: assistant psychologist v research assistant

Post by MindfulPsych » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:15 am

xashx wrote:Hi, I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice as I am completely going round in circles umm-ing and ahh-ing over this.

Have been invited to interview for a research assistant post with leading MH trust, but I am so happy as an Assistant Psychologist at the moment. on the off chance I attended the interview and got offered it (I am currently very unsure), I was just hoping for some insight in to the day to day of a Research Assistant so I could make an informed choice (IF!! i got offered it, i by no means think i am in with a chance here).

Will the R.A experience stand me in good stead for the doctorate in terms of academic/research desirability?

many thanks in advance
Hello and congratulations on being offered a research assistant post!

In the wiki section of the forum there is a "day in the life of a research assistant" which you might find helpful.

The research experience will give you some experience for the doctorate in terms of academic/research/ethics etc. but it's what you learn from the experience that counts. In your assistant psychologist role at the moment are you involved in any research/auditing or publications? That will also help.

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:34 pm

You might find one of them pays more! When I was an AP doing a research post it was paid £3k less than being an RA.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

psychsars

Post by psychsars » Mon May 21, 2018 3:09 pm

I have just accepted an AP post, coming from my 2 myear job as a RA even though I will be taking a pay cut! Although this job has been a fantastic learning curve and I got to work within a forensic setting doing face to face data collection etc. I knew I wanted a role where I could offer assessment, support , treatment, rehabilitation etc. (as part of a team obviously). In my research job I was often asking participants (in prison) very personal questions about their mental health, but could not offer any support/help/ signposting to those who were struggling as clearly that would impact on results. Something to think about... although I have to say the money has been great! :lol: