HI, mental health nursing or applications in clinical psych?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
jessica123

HI, mental health nursing or applications in clinical psych?

Post by jessica123 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:59 am

Hi, I’m an undergraduate final year psychology student graduating this summer 2018 and looking for some advice. I would love to become a clinical psychologist but I know how difficult it is to get onto training programmes so I was thinking of HI therapist or some kind of back up option.

I do not know whether I should do a masters such as applications in clinical psychology to strengthen my path in clinical psychology or apply for mental health nursing as a back up option/stepping stone. The only thing that puts me off is the personal care aspect of mental health nursing. I KNOW nursing isn’t all about personal care but there will be times where I will be required to do the task. However the pros of mental health nursing is that it is free tuition fees and if I give up the path to clinical psychology at least I have a core profession and it will be easier to progress as a HI therapist.

There is PWP training route but I do not think I have the substantial experience required and i do not want to self fund and I live in Scotland so moving and living in England would be too expensive. That leads to another concern if possible I would love to work in my home town and HI therapist vacancies are based in England. I’m open for other careers involving mental health with talking therapies but I feel for Scotland the majority of vacancies involving that is clinical/counselling psychology.

I’m just confused as to what I should plan to do next and would greatly appreciate any advice!
Last edited by maven on Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: to make the title less generic, so you get better responses and can be found in searches

BenJMan

Re: Help! I need some advice

Post by BenJMan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:33 pm

Hi Jessica,

Welcome to the forum. Firstly and quickly, if you check out our Wiki section at the top of all the forums, you will find a lot of information about not just Clinical Psychology but the other adjacent career paths like IAPT too :) This may help answer some of your questions. Clin Psych can be a bit of an ivory tower for info sometimes but this forum was set up in the hopes of changing that.

In regards to your specific position, it is hard to give much advice as you don't seem too settled on what you would actually want to do. My strong advice to anyone who wants to do CP but thinks it is too hard to get selected or is too competitive etc, is don't give up on the dream because of it. I was told I would never become a CP because I wasn't at a red brick university and it was far too competitive, they were happily wrong.

Getting some experience in a relevant field can be tricky (many have the luxury of unpaid work, but not all which can create an uneven system), but lots of care work can have very relevant psychological work involved.

There are pros and cons to each career option as you have begun to outline, personally I would work out what the core of what you want to do is (e.g. is it the caring aspect, is it the psychological formulation and theory, is it the direct client work using psychological models), then use that to help narrow down your decision as each career has it's own ways of working with some cross over.

Take a look at the Wikis and see if you find them of interest, good luck!
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

maven
Site Admin

Re: Help! I need some advice

Post by maven » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:11 pm

jessica123 wrote:I was thinking of HI therapist or some kind of back up option.

... it will be easier to progress as a HI therapist.

There is PWP training route but I do not think I have the substantial experience required and i do not want to self fund
Maybe I'm getting muddled here, but HI is a higher tier of IAPT clinician than PWP, so the standards of training and the experiences required to be appointed are higher. As I understand it, you can't just do HI as a psychology graduate, you'd have to go via PWP or mental health nursing.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

fux

Re: HI, mental health nursing or applications in clinical psych?

Post by fux » Fri May 25, 2018 11:02 am

To be honest I would apply for IAPT low intensity training or MH nursing first and then look into the doctorate once substantial work experience is gained as it is very competitive. Plus you can always do a private doctorate once you start working for example as PWP, you could have your placement done throguh your work and become an HCPC reg counselling psychologist with much less struggle than other pathways. Also the job market for MH nurses and CBT practitioners is incredibly more lively than AP or even clinpsy nowadays