CBT in UAE?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
nomnom

CBT in UAE?

Post by nomnom » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:20 pm

Hi to all,

I was wondering if anyone knew much about working as a therapist in UAE?

I've heard nothing concrete but 'hearsay' that the work is more appreciated, better pay and general packages that are more appealing than the band 7 posts in the UK.

It may be an option I consider when I finish my training (fingers crossed) and I will be looking more in to it in the summer but just wondered if anyone on here had any insights?

Thank you in advance - Nomnom
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'

maven
Site Admin

Re: CBT in UAE?

Post by maven » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:47 pm

I think changingminds did some training out there, and I've heard of other people consulting. I'm not sure the higher salary would be enough incentive to overcome the repressive culture though :(
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:44 am

maven wrote:I think changingminds did some training out there, and I've heard of other people consulting. I'm not sure the higher salary would be enough incentive to overcome the repressive culture though :(
It's the warmer climate that's appealing to me the most :mrgreen: - I really don't cope well with the relentless winters we have!

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:39 pm

It's funny you mention this. I was recently considering applying for an academic post in the UAE. Eventually I decided against it due to human rights concerns. I grew up in Saudi Arabia (far, far more repressive than the UAE) and I know almost all the Gulf countries quite well. For a British immigrant to the UAE, quality of life is likely to be excellent (unless you do something like have sex on a public beach - that sort of thing has happened and it is not well received by the authorities). The people who really suffer from systematic human rights abuses are construction workers from India and Bangladesh, the maids and nannies employed from the Philippines - non-white people from the Global South in very low-paid jobs, basically. I knew the uni I would be working in had been built by migrant labourers and that there were massive concerns about their pay and conditions, and ultimately this and similar issues were too much of an obstacle for me to want to work there.

I know there is demand for UK-trained health professionals in the UAE, and it may be that your potential employer isn't as problematic as mine was. But it's worth thinking about. I know we're all implicated in human rights abuses to a greater or lesser degree no matter where we live, so I'm not trying to make you feel guilty about considering this option. I just think the knowledge needs to be out there so people can make an informed decision.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:33 am

lingua_franca wrote:It's funny you mention this. I was recently considering applying for an academic post in the UAE. Eventually I decided against it due to human rights concerns. I grew up in Saudi Arabia (far, far more repressive than the UAE) and I know almost all the Gulf countries quite well. For a British immigrant to the UAE, quality of life is likely to be excellent (unless you do something like have sex on a public beach - that sort of thing has happened and it is not well received by the authorities). The people who really suffer from systematic human rights abuses are construction workers from India and Bangladesh, the maids and nannies employed from the Philippines - non-white people from the Global South in very low-paid jobs, basically. I knew the uni I would be working in had been built by migrant labourers and that there were massive concerns about their pay and conditions, and ultimately this and similar issues were too much of an obstacle for me to want to work there.

I know there is demand for UK-trained health professionals in the UAE, and it may be that your potential employer isn't as problematic as mine was. But it's worth thinking about. I know we're all implicated in human rights abuses to a greater or lesser degree no matter where we live, so I'm not trying to make you feel guilty about considering this option. I just think the knowledge needs to be out there so people can make an informed decision.
Thank you for your insights lingua.

Don't worry, I didn't feel guilty from reading your post. In fact I'm already familiar with most of what you've mentioned and this is something I would be looking at when considering potential employers. I'm not there yet - I'm just trying to gather as much information as possible from others that may have considered the option or actually relocated.

I very much agree that having the knowledge to make an informed decision is healthy but I fear ignorance is sometimes bliss as the lifestyle/packages offered can be blinding.

For now, my research continues :-)

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:38 pm

lingua_franca wrote:(unless you do something like have sex on a public beach - that sort of thing has happened and it is not well received by the authorities).
I agree about the abuse of disempowered ethnic groups, but the UAE is generally repressive to all. There are some pretty grim cases for western women - being flogged and imprisoned for reporting being raped, for example. And it is not easy to do anything as a single, non-covered, woman in these countries where a substantial proportion of men think of women as property, and even public displays of affection as minor as kissing your partner or touching another man on the hip can be illegal.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:23 pm

I'm not saying that these things don't happen to Westerners, but that it's highly unlikely nomnom will find him/herself in such a situation. In Saudi Arabia, for example, every Western expat community has a bar and plentiful amounts of illegal alcohol. The authorities know about it, but they turn a blind eye to it in the way they wouldn't if it were a Filipino community. I lived there for many years, with frequent travel to other countries of the Gulf, and I witnessed the huge disparity between how different ethnic groups are treated. It's also true that most white Westerners in Gulf countries are leading a pretty cushy life. I used to be puzzled that people in the UK had this idea of teenage me muffled up to my eyes in a veil, when in reality I was splashing about on the beach in a swimsuit, or spending the entire weekend at a private pool I didn't have to pay for. My family's life was standard for white British immigrants to the Gulf. The ethics of that lifestyle are disturbing - so many Western employees are involved in the arms trade, and as a teenager I was oblivious to the implications of that. But I can see why the benefits packages and the glossy brochures appeal to so many people.

The issue of the man being imprisoned under public decency laws for grazing another man's hip does strike me as unusual, because it's culturally quite normal for friends of the same sex to walk around holding hands. I remember my dad finding it embarrassing when men there would take his hand and hold it, as obviously it's not something we do in the UK. Some of the people you see walking round Gulf shopping malls clasping each other's hands are no doubt in a secret sexual relationship for sure, but in that culture physical contact between friends of the same sex doesn't carry automatic sexual/romantic connotations. So it's not quite the case that the police will automatically leap on you for that kind of contact. The vast majority of Westerners in Gulf countries are never going to run afoul of the law. That doesn't change the repressive nature of the laws themselves, though, which are terrible when they are invoked, and I would not be comfortable living there by choice except in very specific circumstances (if I went back into the humanitarian sector, perhaps).
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:42 am

Thank you both for your insights.

I would hopefully be married and be there with my partner as I don't think I'd be comfortable living there on my own at all. It's something we are considering as temporary move but whilst he is slightly more laid on the issue, I do have my concerns hence the research.

I am hoping to make contact with potential employers over the next few months and feel what 'vibes' I get before taking it any further.

Nomnom