OT technical instructor vs healthcare support worker

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
SamXO

OT technical instructor vs healthcare support worker

Post by SamXO » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:17 pm

Hello All!
I come to you today with a dilemma. Recently ive been searching for employment which will enable me to work with people with mental health disorders and ive have numerous interviews. Yesterday I got the job of healthcare support worker working with individuals with mental health disorders (I don't know what unit ill be working on yet so I can't give you anymore details about this role). HOWEVER. However, I had an interview today for clinical support worker which I didn't get ( :( ) however they did encourage me to apply for the role of occupational therapy technical instructor working with occupational therapists supporting individuals with mental health problems. I guess what i'm asking is should I apply for an interview with the second role? Its band three and the other job I got is band 2 which is important I guess. I just want to do the job that will give me the best experience going forward applying for DClinPsy or AP jobs. Opinions and advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!
PS. Both are NHS roles
PPS. I hope the above ramble made sense!

Thank you all!

SamXO

Re: OT technical instructor vs healthcare support worker

Post by SamXO » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:40 pm

Also might be useful; the OTTI role is on a dementia ward!

Sam

olive

Re: OT technical instructor vs healthcare support worker

Post by olive » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:24 pm

I think both post will give you really good, relevant experience. The OT one may possibly involve more direct supervision which is closer to an AP role.. I'd probably apply for the OTTI and try for interview if you get one and go from there? & If you get it- it's not ideal letting people down if you've already said yes to the other job, but I think they'd understand as its a higher band. That's just my opinion, but hope it helps. Good luck!